Finish the Draft

Started by Stardown, March 07, 2019, 06:39:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Stardown

Do you have any drafts you composed in OpenMPT, but have no idea which direction the song should go? Or do you have simple one- or two-pattern loops you have trouble making a song out of? Then feel free to post the loop or draft here! (As long as the mods are okay with this.)

If you find a loop or draft here that you can make a song out of, go for it! Then, once you're finished, post it in Free Music Downloads as per the rules, and credit the user who made the original draft.

I have plenty of drafts, loops, and unfinished songs to share, but I'll let someone else go first so as not to double-post. :)

Saga Musix

Nice idea. I do have hundreds of drafts but there's still hope I will finish them myself one day. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Stardown

Here's one that sounds great, but I'm having troubles making a complete song out of it. It's basically two related loops in one module. I may attempt to complete it later, but I want to see what you guys can do with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xplX3q-kI5FfjP3d1w2n21fW6py6fRaQ

teimoso

Here is a draft I haven't touched since October last year. Some of the weirdness to it is probably because I made it in Schism Tracker, which I never manage to get used to... Also maybe cheating a little bit (I still use OpenMPT more than any other tracker at least!).

Stardown

Nice tune, teimoso! I'll see what I can do with it. ;)

Stardown

I've finished your song, teimoso! Uploading it now!

Stardown

Another draft I just created, but I'm not sure where the song should go. Patterns 1-5 is an unfinished intro, but the main loop part is Patterns 0 and 6. It makes use of the new OPL instruments. I'll bet LPChip might have some fun with this one ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15lTucmUsKJuBa2pEYhUy8HCgA0Zlv8uO

LPChip

I'll see what I can do with it. :) But no promises.

EDIT: Okay, I can definitely do something with it. I've extended the song quite a bit already and fixed a few issues that made it nearly impossible to work with the song (namely volume aka mixing)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nikku4211

Old but gold.

Nekoro (8 channel .XM)

I was making this way back in 2016 and while I could get back to it later on(making no promises here), I would like to see how far someone else would go with this(as long as they credit me, of course).

I have a whole lot of abandoned drafts. I might come back to here when I feel like releasing one of them.

Stardown

@LPChip

I'd love to hear the finished song! Also, I'm trying to expand the song on my end, even though I seem to be better at making loops than whole songs. Volume equalizing seems to be a weakness of mine that I need to work on.

Also, an improved updated version of my draft:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WfZFkq1mgZERGCgk9v-Rdjhg5-thgWGs

@nikku4211

Definitely gold. I've already got a few ideas for it. And yes, I'll make sure to credit.

LPChip

I plan to finish the song today. Also, it will most likely be very different from the direction you're taking the song. I don't think it is a good idea to give a song out for a draft and then work on the song yourself unless you plan to finish the song yourself, but then handing it out for a draft is kind of weird...

But we'll see.. So far, I've got 2 minutes and 39 seconds out of it and I will probably add another 30 seconds to a minute before the song ends. I already know how I'm going to finish it and stuff, so its only a matter of making it. I hope to post the end result today. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

And I've uploaded my version of the tune. You can find it here: https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=6129 :)

Stardown

I've listened to it, and it indeed goes in a different direction than I thought. I like it though! :)

While I agree with you on uploading a draft and then working on it yourself, I initially uploaded it because I had no idea where it should go next. It wasn't until a few hours after I uploaded the draft that I got a sudden burst of ideas for the song.

Also, listening to your version gave me some more ideas for it as well. The inspiration for this song came from your songs Internal Mechanics, No Mercy [s13], and Synthesis' spacesynth song Another World.

As for shortie #47, which is the first draft I uploaded, I may end up turning that into a full song as well.

LPChip

I guess you can always release a version yourself under a different name, but it probably works better to reuse the ideas for a new song. :) I'm glad you like the end result though. It was a fun project to do and I felt like I needed a different music project too, so that was a bonus. :) I may actually upload one of my songs here so someone else can work on it. :)

nikku4211

Alright, here's another draft.

Gallopavo Rights (8 channel .IT)

This one is more recent, being made in November of last year. This was supposed to be a reworking of my older thanksgiving song from 2016 named 'Ungrateful', but I couldn't find a way to make it work while paying homage to the original song. The original song was so broken, so messed up, that it's literally unsalvageable.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy seeing you squirm in pain from picking up this draft if you do.