MIDI 2.0 prototyping announced

Started by Saga Musix, January 20, 2019, 13:08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

The MMA announces MIDI 2.0 prototyping

It seems like quite a few long-standing issues with the MIDI standard will be addressed, including increased granularity of parameters and volume, and MIDI 2.0 will remain backwards-compatible with MIDI 1.0. This is exciting to hear, and will hopefully also find its way into OpenMPT once it's ready.

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Oh that's some great news indeed.

Thanks for sharing. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Midori Mizuno

That sure took them some time, didn't it haha

Saga Musix

It's a sign for a good standard when it doesn't have to be replaced every other year.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

Ooh, New MIDI protocol!

Wonder if they are implementing Note-Articulation - that's a really neat feature, since notes can then be in the same channels and have independent effects without affecting each other
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

ASIKWUSpulse

Ooh, and MIDI 2.0 will use 1 port it seems? If so, that is sure a relief - no more bying a pair of 5-pin DIN-cables, just one.

Otherwise, this is exciting stuff.
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

Saga Musix

I guess note articulation is more or less covered by the MPE "extension" already - but given that the new standard is not publicly available yet, I guess it makes little sense to speculate.

ASIKWUSpulse

Well, it's an "extension" - I know how the MMA and AMEI has done with GM2 (they integrated some GS- and XG-Extension features (not by the fact that they are kindof the same expansions in different approaches though :P)), I get the feeling of that they are of the "happy-integrating-some-expansions-in-future-main-specs" type.

That's my hypothesis otherwise.