Yamaha P-45 as MIDI controller with open MPT?

Started by Harbinger, January 12, 2019, 18:31:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Has anyone used without any problems the Yamaha P-45 Digital piano as a MIDI controller with openMPT?

I'll be getting this inexpensive piano keyboard in the next couple of months and i want to make sure it can be used to input notes into ModPlug. Its MIDI is transferred by USB, but i dont know if this will affect how MPT will "hear" it.

Here is an online PDF of the Manual. Can any helpful info from this be gleaned to help determine the answer? What will my limitations be?

Saga Musix

Generally any MIDI device can be used with OpenMPT, including those that are connected via USB. You will have the same features and limitations in OpenMPT as with any other MIDI device.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

In addition to what Saga Musix already said, a USB device comes with one limitation that is often missed by people:

A USB device will install itself when plugged in, and uninstall itself when removed.

The drivers are kept on the system to ensure that a next install will not require you to install a cd of any kind if applicable to that device.

This has a side effect though...

If you start any DAW, OpenMPT included, and you then plugin the USB device, Windows will install the driver for your device and it becomes available to the system, but many DAW's, OpenMPT included, won't be able to see the device until you restart OpenMPT.

In addition, even if the USB cable is plugged in, the initialization routine takes place every time the device is turned on, so turn on your keyboard first, then Windows installs your device, you hear a sound (this is often a matter of seconds), then you start OpenMPT, and you can select the midi device there.

Some devices require you to install the device drivers using a setup (generally the older USB devices), so if this is the case for the Yamaha P45, you need to do that once.

Also, don't forget, you have to actually configure any DAW to use your midi device, but this should be a one-time only. Also, there is a button in the toolbar to toggle between receiving midi notes on and off. If the keyboard is not responding to your notes, make sure that it is not set to off.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Virtually any MIDI device (also older ones) out there is class-compliant, i.e. it does not require a driver to be installed. Sometimes you can install a driver that offers some more features, but it isn't necessary in 99% of all cases and the default driver that ships with Windows will handle these devices just fine. Also it really shouldn't be taking seconds on any somewhat recent Windows machine to initialize a class-compliant MIDI device.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I guess my Roland FP-2 is one of those 1% then. Its an old beast and I do need to setup drivers or windows 10 simply doesn't recognize the device.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Good advice, Chip. I wouldn't have known that.

I can't wait to get my piano!