A Good IDE?

Started by ASIKWUSpulse, October 11, 2018, 08:18:04

Previous topic - Next topic

ASIKWUSpulse

Asking of a good IDEa :P
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

Saga Musix

Quote from: ASIKWUSpulse on October 11, 2018, 08:17:10I might by the way ask if somebody knows a good C++/C# IDE? since I think visual studio, telling by my 2-years experience of that IDE, is somewhat messy.
Quite frankly, Visual Studio is the best IDE I have worked with. It does a lot, so it may seem intimidating if you only use very little of its functionality, but once you need something, you will appreciate that it's just there. QtCreator comes somewhat close for C++ and is platform-independent, but its debugger (or any other IDE's debugger really) is not even close to what VS can do.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

Which VS are you using? year and community/pro?
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

Saga Musix

2015 and 2017, community edition (at home) and pro (at work). But I have also been using previous versions (VS6/2003/2008/2010 Professional) and my sentiment about those is mostly the same.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

Ok may keep using VS 2017 community then :)

michaelmd101

Quote from: Saga Musix on October 11, 2018, 08:23:13
Quote from: ASIKWUSpulse on October 11, 2018, 08:17:10I might by the way ask if somebody knows a good C++/C# IDE? since I think visual studio, telling by my 2-years experience of that IDE, is somewhat messy.
Quite frankly, Visual Studio is the best IDE I have worked with. It does a lot, so it may seem intimidating if you only use very little of its functionality, but once you need something, you will appreciate that it's just there. QtCreator comes somewhat close for C++ and is platform-independent, but its debugger (or any other IDE's debugger really) is not even close to what VS can do.

perhaps .. but I would prefer not to risk putting a windows machine online (for a whole day when I tried installing some version of vs a few years ago!)
so would still love to work out how to get started with qtcreator or anything that works on linux.

(ps I'm an old school type more used to using plain text editors for writing code ... not so familiar witth the ide world and gui apps as yet but not afraid to learn)

what would be needed  to compile it with qt?  - different makefiles?  .. libraries? ..

Saga Musix

Quote from: michaelmd101 on March 08, 2020, 05:38:00
what would be needed  to compile it with qt?  - different makefiles?  .. libraries? ..
By "it" you mean OpenMPT? It would be needed to rewrite every single bit of UI code. If it was as simple as changing some makefile, it would have already been done.