teh crap compo!

Started by cdnalsi, May 23, 2006, 13:54:29

Previous topic - Next topic

l8

Quote from: "cdnalsi"Site updated with 2 more entries!

:lol:

where we can download all these crappy "songs"?
nothing here-

cdnalsi

You cannot download them, only after the big judgment 30th day ;)

apple-joe

OK - then I'm suddenly in as well, after deciding for one. I had two tracks; one mess, and one more with mess and even more crap. So, that's the one.
I'm desperately wondering how the other entries sound.

cdnalsi

Alright People!

The compo is now officially closed and not accepting any more entries!
Let me just sum up what's been going on in the last week as you wait patiently for the ratings and results ;)

- The Compo begins.
- 8 entries in the first 24 hours, as well as over 100+ hits on the webiste.
- Positive and not-so-positive feedback from forums like: CTG Music, Renoise.com, Modplug Central and the not-sopositive feedback from Madtracker.org :(
- All-in-all, there are 19 entries, PartySan's 'How to (de)tune Your Guitar in 10 Easy Lessons' concluded the compo.
- 440 hits to the website as I'm typing this.
- Here it be: www.cdnalsi.net/crap

Well, I can only say that this compo is going on the right direction...
I can only say that if you choose to wait for the ratings and reviews, you'll have a big surprise! And of course, it's the only time you can actually download and listen to all the crappy entries!!

Stand by and don't take no crap!  :D

LPChip

I wanted to send in an entry that was as follows (didn't do it though, but I though it was original :P)

I wanted to record over 10 minutes of silence, encode it to ogg, zip it, and in that zip package, put a message that you've downloaded an empty song that lasts for over 10 minutes, which has a filesize of over 10 mb. Now if that aint crap??? :nuts:

The only problem was that my record of 13,52 minutes wav, encoded to a 47 kb ogg file :lol: :nuts:

So I loaded in a noise file, put in some pitchbends and played it repetivelly for the entire duration. Ogg compression down to 7 mb. Okay, we were getting somewhere... Zip compression... down to 500 kb :s :lol: :nuts:

I then though, I'll choose store compression (aka none), but was like... oh well.. Took more time than I wanted to put in the song :lol:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

Quote from: "LPChip"Ogg compression down to 7 mb. Okay, we were getting somewhere... Zip compression... down to 500 kb :s :lol: :nuts:
That's quite interesting. Sure Ogg isn't tuned to compress noise and the compressed result has to be somewhat streamable (whereas zip can compress totally "out of order"). But I wouldn't have guessed zipping an ogg could yield so much.

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"
Quote from: "LPChip"Ogg compression down to 7 mb. Okay, we were getting somewhere... Zip compression... down to 500 kb :s :lol: :nuts:
That's quite interesting. Sure Ogg isn't tuned to compress noise and the compressed result has to be somewhat streamable (whereas zip can compress totally "out of order"). But I wouldn't have guessed zipping an ogg could yield so much.

It must've been because the noise was as it is looped each time. Same pitch, same noise, and that for like 1000 times :nuts:

Also the ogg compression over it removes the higher ends which makes it less data to compare...

Zip just detects it as a sequence of the same junk, and stores one version of this junk and put references to it after eachother...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cdnalsi

TEH RESULTS ARE IN!!!

Check them out:

www.cdnalsi.net/crap

Cheers! :lol:

apple-joe

I'm listening to the entries now. Great. Inspiring (actually!) - I'm gonna loosen up a bit on a general level and create more crap, more than I have done already, I mean.

yrk

Just heard the entries and all I can say is...

Holy Crap!!!  :shock:
while (1) { fork(); }

speed-goddamn-focus

As I'm sure everyone noticed, the end part of my p.o.c. is in french.

l8

"How to (de)tune your guitar in 10 easy lessons" - like it very much, this is not crap at all. real ambient-psy-trance:)

"rewbs' technopunkintello3" - the most crappiest sounds i`ve ever heard:)

"1up's Holy Crap" - very good conception. listen to it from beginig till the end.
nothing here-

rewbs

My entry was in fact a couple of photoshop files loaded as raw sound and played at varying pitches. Complex multi-layer photoshop images make the coolest noises. Amusing that the judges thought the ending was by design. :)

blah blah softWARE blah blah softWARE blah blah.. :D