VSTi sounds in MPT

Started by saiph, July 20, 2018, 09:51:12

Previous topic - Next topic

saiph

Hello everyone.

Although i'm quite familiar with "tracking" - having started playing around with Impulse Tracker (pre v.2.14) in the mid 90's, and then migrated to ModPlug (post y2k), - i'm pretty much new to the VST world :) I've only recently started to play around more often with VSTs and i'm quite impressed with their capabilities and how much a difference they make in the final mix. Never really tried to come up with something original, though - i only fooled around doing cover tracks. I tried to switch to OpenMPT, but it didn't run as smooth as MPT (v.1.16.0203), so i thought i should stick to what i like most and works for me.

Anyway, long story short: i've been hunting for any sort of VST plugins compatible with the MPT, and even found some - for the usual stuff like sidechaining, compression, EQ, reverb, delay, overdrive, detune, etc...  But also some pretty fine VSTi plugins that are highly ranked in many forums (including this one).

My question is:
             - how can i have these VSTi-s make any sound in MPT, as i cannot hear a thing whenever i assign them to a certain channel (where i have an instrument/sample playing, of course)?

I  tried Synth1, Carma, ArgenSynth, Super7, 4Tune, Crystal, DrumUtil... no sound at all. I admit that i only tried on a PC keyboard, not with my midi keyboard plugged in via USB - i will try that when i get home - so i'm not sure that should be the main cause for the unusual silence :) What settings do i need to adjust in order to produce any sound with them?
I still have a lot of plugins to try out - Venom (TB-303 emulator - crashed each time so far), for example, but also many others that might only be compatible with other more advanced DAWs (Tyrell N6 ?..)

Hoping for a helping reply, i'm looking forward for any feedback you guys may have for me.

Thanks.

Saga Musix

You don't assign instrument plugins to channels - you assign them to instruments. In fact, OpenMPT automatically creates an instrument for you that you can use readily to control the VSTi. Of course this only works in module formats that support instruments (so not MOD/S3M).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

saiph

No, no,  I'm not using S3M or MOD. I started with ".IT", i remain faithful to the same extension :)

I managed to test it in OpenMPT right now, with the MIDI keyboard connected via USB, and it started to make sounds :D
Well, apparently, it was also a matter of compatibility; so, i guess i need to switch to OpenMPT if i want VSTi-s in my tracks. Oh well..

Thanks for the hint.