OpenMPT FM+PCM example song compo (extended deadline 2018-11-16)

Started by Saga Musix, July 01, 2018, 20:52:50

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Is that the final date, or is that without the possible 2 week delay?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

If you look closely at the calendar, that is the two week "delay".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

I've messed around and came up with a small tune that I'll submit to the compo. May not be awesome, since I just rushed it together as it would've been taking nearly a month to come up with anything good :P.

Otherwise, this was a feature that I never thought MPT was going to support. I dreamed about built-in FM instruments with the same capabilities as the samples Portamento, Volume, Vibrato and the other sound-manipulating effects. This kind of made the dream come true, cuz I had hopes for 4-op FM.

But I understand why just OPL2/3 are implemented, since it's a feature of scream-tracker 3, so I'm not disappointed :). MPT 1.28 has a whole new sector of features ready to be explored! :D
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

ASIKWUSpulse

A little question, since I haven't used ST3.... Is the volume-curve for the FM supposed to be exponetial compared to the samples volume-curve being linear?
I have it really tricky to equalize the volumes, especially when using volume slides.
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ASIKWUSpulse

Saga Musix

I have contemplated at least adding an optional linear mode in MPTM, but the problem is that the sample volume range is identical to the OPL volume range (well, almost - OPL only goes from 0 to 63 rather than 64), meaning that there would be some inevitable loss of precision. Maybe in the next version.

ASIKWUSpulse

I can live with the exponential volume behavior :D, it's just important that the FM sounds isn't hard-volslided like the samples, or they will barely be heard. I'm still happy with this new feature (I love tracking game-inspired music with FM-flavour, which is now possible with OpenMPT). Cool!

ballacr75

Saga Musix

You will be able to listen to the songs that made it past the pre-selection once OpenMPT 1.28 is released. This may still take a few weeks, so anyone who wasn't able to submit their tune in time can of course still upload it and contribute to the release package.

Exhale

I dont know if it is just my version of 1.28.00.31 but sometimes (and it seems in a predictable way) I get sporadic sound interpretation on these instruments, is it a glitch or is it how the instruments are supposed to behave?
You can replicate what I mean by starting a new mptm, making the first instrument an OPL, taking the modulator attack rate to 12, and playing a few chords... at first it will slide in, and if you keep playing chords it will hit at 100% sometimes then eventually all the time... the other part of the behavior, which I admit I used on one of the songs I sent means that when you track with an instrument like this and save it, the slide in will happen on the first play through in a once off way.
If that is the way it is going to behave at all times, thats fine, the song I sent will behave fine, but if not that is also fine because it would be nice to have the instrument behave more predictably. I did it earlier and hit chords over and over again and somehow it played the muffled like at the beginning of the climb and then sometimes at 100%... so yeah its a bit unpredictable in its current form.

(example attached to this reply)
I admit I wasnt able to get the sporadic showing up in the tracked example and it might just be the way this laptop keyboard works or something else about how I am playing it... I put some c+f chords after those chords I played in the example in what seems like the way I play them by hand and they work fine at 100% with note cut and note off

Saga Musix

Exhale

Saga Musix

As there are still some improvements to be tackled before the OpenMPT 1.28 release, the deadline has been extended to the 16th November. Expect this to be a final deadline, and feel free to update your previous submissions.

ballacr75

Hi all, here my submission for the compo, my first track with OpenMPT and my first track with S3M!
Have fun
Ballacr75 (Emanuele)