Should there be .MOD example modules in OpenMPT?

Started by nikku4211, June 29, 2018, 16:34:39

Previous topic - Next topic

nikku4211

I'm thinking OpenMPT should have example modules not only on .MPTM formats, but also on .MOD, .XM, .S3M, and .IT formats to demonstrate backwards compatibility for anyone who's new to the program and wondering about that.

Should there be?

Saga Musix

Welcome to the OpenMPT community.
Any formats other than MPTM won't be able to use shared samples, so they will bloat the distribution more than necessary. Oldskool mods are so easy to find - if someone is concerned about this backwards compatibility, they most likely already have such files on their hard drive anyway. And if not, they can find them via the "top picks" menu entry. I'm not saying that it would be impossbie to have a MOD or S3M entry in the example songs - but it would have to be really good, and not just a random showcase of "look, OpenMPT can emulate this playback quirk faithfully!"
In fact, I think now that there will be OPL support in OpenMPT 1.28, having an S3M example song with OPL and PCM voices would be a nice addition.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Oh, I'd love to make an OPL example song for Open MPT 1.28. Let me know if interested. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs