extracting the instruments from a .mo3 as a .sf2 file ??

Started by shirominus, April 22, 2018, 23:38:14

Previous topic - Next topic

shirominus

I have a .mo3 file that i wish to extract the instruments from, and convert these instruments into either an individual sf2 file, or a set of sfz files. I have attempted to extract the instruments in the .xi format, and then use the free shareware version of Awave to rebuild each instrument as both sf2 (later grouping the instruments together as a single sf2 file), and sfz files, however in both cases the resulting sound is moderately different than what plays within openMPT. i need the output to sound exactly as it sounds within openMPT.

i have little experience in coding or in the structures of soundfont or mod formats, and lack the ability to troubleshoot the issue further. also, i am running windows 8.1 in case there exists software out there that works already. hopefully i hear from someone soon... and i am willing to reveal more details about what it is exactly that i wish to do in case one needs more information to come to a solution.

well, thank you!

Saga Musix

Quotei need the output to sound exactly as it sounds within openMPT.
To summarize in one sentence, this is impossible with SF2. Instruments in modules and instruments in soundfonts are sufficiently different for this goal to be impossible to reach in the general case. For example, envelopes in module instruments are much more expressive than the classic ADSR envelopes you have in soundfonts. If it's just about the raw sample data, converting that with Awave is going to be fine, but don't expect to be able to convert anything beyond that 100% accurately.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

shirominus

so, it seems that approximating the release envelopes of the mo3 instruments can only be done manually as of now...

i suppose an alternative to this, in my case, would be to get a VST synth which is able to extract the instrument data from a .mo3 and play the instruments within a DAW... just as sforzando, for example, plays .sfz files, or built in soundfont players play .sf2 files.

any chance that you or anyone else knows of any VSTs capable of this? i may end up reading deep into the .mo3 file format and creating one myself, but i'll only do this once all of my options are exhausted.

once again, thank you!

Saga Musix

It would be helpful to know what you actually want to do in order to give you a better answer.
What you can do in theory is using reViSiT because it's basically a glorified IT-compatible tracker inside a VST plugin. You can re-save the MO3 file as IT in OpenMPT and then load that IT file into a reViSiT instance. It's probably as accurate as you can get with existing tools.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

shirominus

I extracted the .mo3 from a video game, because I want to incorporate the instruments into my music. for this, i need to be able to use the instruments inside of my DAW, which is FL studio 12, just as any other synth VST. in other words, i wish to play the instruments with my own midi keyboard inside FL studio.

openMPT only allows me to save the .mo3 in .xm format for some odd reason... but it turns out that reViSiT allows you to import .xm files as well, so, i imported it as an xm. It seemed that it was successfully imported into reViSiT, however the audio is completely distorted. also, when I hit the play button in FL studio, the midi encoded in the .xm plays. you see, i don't care about the midi information; i only want the instruments. i attempted to sift through the settings of reViSiT to resolve these issues, but i had no luck.

now that you have the complete scope of my goal, maybe a better alternative exists? I searched around and read that openMPT has VST functionality, however I cannot find this capability in the software which i have downloaded (the most recent version of openMPT), nor do I know of what this VST functionality actually allows for.

anyway, thank you yet again!

shirominus

Quote from: shirominus on April 24, 2018, 21:28:57
openMPT only allows me to save the .mo3 in .xm format for some odd reason...

I figured out how to save the .mo3 in .it, however this did not solve any audio distortions... nor did it solve any of the other problems, of course

Saga Musix

Well, I have no idea why reViSiT wouldn't work as intended in FL Studio, that's maybe more a question for the FL developers. :) It works as intended in all the hosts I tried (including OpenMPT), so I have no idea what the problem could be.

Another thing you can try is Redux, which is basically Renoise's sampler turned into a plugin, so it has all the advantages of tracker instruments (with flexible envelopes, etc.), but you would still have to manually convert all the instrument properties from XM parameters to Redux's parameters.

QuoteI searched around and read that openMPT has VST functionality, however I cannot find this capability in the software which i have downloaded (the most recent version of openMPT), nor do I know of what this VST functionality actually allows for.
It can all be found in the general tab: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_General#Plugin_Setup