Tempo conversion into MIDI file

Started by Lo Bellver, March 02, 2018, 23:48:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Lo Bellver

I am working on songs for my next album on OpenMPT and then I export the channels into MIDI so I can use the MIDI file in order to work with other programs. The thing is I've noticed there's an issue with the tempo. When I import the MIDI file of a song that in OpenMPT in .it format has, let's say, a tempo of 120 bpm, on the DAW I use once I import the MIDI file the tempo is 120,738 or something alike. The tempo is slighly faster.

It is an issue because I wanted to use some parts of the song made with MPT and then export them to WAV so I could mix them with the rest of the song produced on a DAW, but this difference in tempo makes that a real issue. I could fix the tempo of the WAV but then it will change its pitch....

Any idea of what to do?

Thank you!

Lo Bellver

I reply to myself, LOL

The tempo is Ok as long as the Ticks/Row is 6. Hence why I had these weird tempos in some songs when converted into MIDI files.

Saga Musix

QuoteThe tempo is Ok as long as the Ticks/Row is 6. Hence why I had these weird tempos in some songs when converted into MIDI files
No, that's not quite correct. The problem here is that the classic tempo mode is based on some calculations that were easier to do on old computers, but were less accurate. So a tempo of 120 was not "really" 120 BPM but something very close. It should be identical in both MIDI export and exported WAV files (if it isn't, please provide a test file to reproduce the problem with). If you really want 100% accurate BPM you need to use modern tempo mode.
You can find more information on the issue in the manual: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Song_Properties#Tempo_Mode
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Lo Bellver

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!