Status of 'modplug-svn-commit'-mailing list

Started by Relabsoluness, February 18, 2018, 14:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

The latest mailing from modplug-svn-commit I've received is from 2018-02-15 rev 9671, but in RSS-feed's the latest rev is 9705. Is this a temporary malfunction or has the mailing list been silenced for good? The link in wiki page Development: Compiling the code gives "A 500 Error has Occurred" and the list is not visible in Sourceforge's Mailing Lists page.

manx

The list is hosted on SourceForge. SourceForge is yet again completely broken since quite some days. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it right now, other than wait.

However, given that this list only has 4 subscribers (Saga Musix, myself, and apparently you, the 4th is unknown because SourceForge does not allow listing mailing list subscribers any more), we could probably consider just killing it for good. Given the reliability of SourceForge in the recent years, it's use as a notification mechanism is very close to none.

The RSS feed https://source.openmpt.org/browse/openmpt/trunk/OpenMPT/?op=rss&isdir=1 exists (though that might actually change once we migrate to the new server), and following changes on GitHub via our mirror is also possible: https://github.com/OpenMPT/openmpt/commits/master.atom.

If you (or anyone else) still prefers to get the notifications via mail, I could just add any one developer who desires so to the list of email addresses that get mailed the SVN changes directly without going through the SourceForge-hosted mailing list.

Saga Musix

Interesting, there used to be quite a few more (around 10?) subscribers to that list a few years back. Maybe that changed because of the availability of the RSS feed.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

manx

Seems to be in the process of recovering and sending out old mails right now.

In any case, given the unreliability of SourceForge, I think we should stop promoting the list (as well as the libopenmpt security mailing list). We can still leave both running as is for the foreseeable future.
Any objections?

Especially for the libopenmpt security announcement list, the unreliable mail transfer of SourceForge is in fact a huge problem, as it might prevent people from seeing the necessary announcements. Our RSS feeds have no such problems, because in case of service unavailability, RSS subscribers could at least get notified by the RSS reader software.

Saga Musix

Makes sense, although I'm more a fan of the push notification style of mailing lists for the commits (of course you could also just query the RSS feed every minute, but it's a waste of bandwidth especially when on a limited mobile connection). The point about the security mailing list is definitely valid.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Thanks for responses. Both the mailing list link and emails seems to work now and while I'm indeed a subscriber in the list and preferred it to RSS-feed as I've gotten used to getting the more detailed commit summary (not that the details are too often actually examined), it's not a point to be taken into account if evaluating the need to keep the mailing list.