Tracker music Discord

Started by ida, January 09, 2018, 23:06:06

Previous topic - Next topic

ida

If anyone's interested in a more direct place to discuss tracker music and it's creation, i've made a Discord server just for that purpose.

Since it's a really new server, there's not a lot of users, so i thought i'd share the link here (if that's okay) to get some people to join.

pls join thx

So uh, i hope to see some people from here join! If anyone has any suggestions or comments on this, i'd like to hear them! I've never fully managed a Discord server so there's probably a lot of things that could be added. :)

LPChip

You do know we have an IRC channel just for that, right!

Its #modplug on esper.net
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ida

Quote from: LPChip on January 11, 2018, 10:44:27
You do know we have an IRC channel just for that, right!

Its #modplug on esper.net

Ah, okay! I must say that i haven't checked it out before.
I do believe Discord offers a whole lot more than IRC does - such as filesharing, voice chatting, different subchannels, user ranks, etc. For the purpose of talking about modules and listening/sharing them, i think those are all very good features to have.

Saga Musix

I'm not one of those persons who are going to defend IRC over everything that's trying to (rightfully) innovate the concept because I am fully aware of its flaws, but I certainly won't choose yet another proprietary huge Electron-based application that's just another instance of Chrome in reality that's trying to look "cool" (with a kind of language all over the user interface that I personally consider to be dismissive but seems to appeal to gamers). For what it's worth, I am not sure how "user ranks" are relevant to anything, and EsperNet has a large number of the relevant channels (or subchannels if you wanna call it like that) of the tracking scene (#modplug, #modarchive, #modulez, #mod_shrine, #milkytracker, #schismtracker, #renoise, etc). Many of those have been around for way more than ten years, some even close to twenty, and I have huge doubts that Discord will still be relevant after such a long time.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LDAsh

Discord wouldn't be so bad if it was an open protocol that anyone could develop client software for, and if the clients available could function on way lesser hardware than is currently available.  For what it offers, it has a long way to go in terms of being more stable and more compatible.
IRC is something you can use on even a NintendoDS, the clients are basically _nothing_ on system resources, and practically any browser on any computer, anywhere in the world.  It would work on a computer you pull out of a dumpster, and that's (for the younger readers) actually a good thing.

ida

Alright then, not my problem you're all too elitist for Discord. ;D

LPChip

I have "attempted" to use Discord in the past, but it really doesn't like my terminal server. It lags way too much to give an enjoyable experience.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: WouterVL on February 14, 2018, 13:28:51
Alright then, not my problem you're all too elitist for Discord. ;D
Or you're just too elite to hang out with the old elite? ;)
I can understand how especially younger people always want to try the latest stuff and don't understand those who just stick to stuff that has been proven to work. But I'm sure you will understand in some years why we're saying all this, and why we're choosing not to use a horribly bloated chat client when we can just keep using what we already use.
You're probably too young to have that ever happened to you, but I (and friends) have been burned several times by proprietary services shutting down and killing off communication channels because they couldn't make money or whatever. This cannot happen with open protocols like IRC or XMPP because even if a server decides to shut down at some point, you can simply hop on a new server and keep using your favourite software to talk to people.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

manx

Another point to consider:
We developers already have to follow the bug tracker, the forum, the comment section on the website, the wiki, the irc channel, github pull requests, private questions via email/irc/messenger, all just to keep up with the OpenMPT/libopenmpt community itself. Adding to that is the requirement to follow related software projects and software that uses libopenmpt, just in order  to avoid missing any important discussions (and we still do so occasionally).
Adding yet another means of communication would fragment the discussions even further, which inevitably requires more time and effort to coordinate and manage.