Can I distribute the MPT program?

Started by logowang, May 22, 2006, 03:01:45

Previous topic - Next topic

logowang

I found MPT is a good program!
I use it as midi to wav convertor, it's really great!
So I wish i can introducing it in my site and distribute it, Can I do this?

speed-goddamn-focus

Louigi Verona

in other words - yes, you can.

logowang

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"ModPlug Tracker is released under the GNU General Public License.

Hi,speed-goddamn-focus and Louigi Verona:

Thanks for your reply!
But I can't fully understand about GPL, so Can I ask more?

Q: If I distribute MPT in my site, according GPL, for avoid user request the source code frequently, I have better put the MPT source code in my site, right?

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "logowang"Q: If I distribute MPT in my site, according GPL, for avoid user request the source code frequently, I have better put the MPT source code in my site, right?
If you don't actually change the source and recompile MPT, a link will probably suffice. Why not just give a link to the download page at sourceforge? This way your visitors will always get the latest stable version and access to the full source code, and you also get the benefit of saving bandwidth and space on your server.

logowang

Quote from: "Why not just give a link to the [url=http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=100385download page at sourceforge[/url]? "

Ya, I have been thought, but according my experience, most of users are not like us (we can surf in the net to get some utility useful for us) when I give them the sourceforge link, they will shock and don't know how to do in next step, for this reason, so I want to put the MPT in my site, and make tutorial to help someone.

LPChip

I don't see any problem in that.

You can always do both. Make a download available on your site by downloading, then uploading, and provide a "more info" or "mirror" link to the sourceforge page. If they want, they can always "try" to get it from there.

You can also link directly to http://www.modplug.com for those who want to get/share their music/thoughs?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs