toggle record, channel mute

Started by inemuri1985, January 11, 2015, 16:27:10

Previous topic - Next topic

inemuri1985

hi! how do i toggle record on and off? cant find it.. and can i do channel mutes from a midi controller?

Saga Musix

Toggle Record is the red dot icon in the pattern editor toolbar, or Ctrl-Space in the default keyboard setup.
Since you can bind any shortcuts to MIDI CCs in the keyboard setup, you can also bind mute shortcuts to some button on a MIDI controller, yes. This only works for the currently focussed channel, though - there are no shortcuts that only trigger on a certain channel.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

inemuri1985

Exhale

"and can i do channel mutes from a midi controller?"

I have been using the free version of bome's midi translator to get this effect... it converts midi events into specific key combinations and they can be made quite complicated. here's an example of the code I put into bome to get the effect of muting / unmuting channel 8 relative to my pointer in the pattern editor tab of modplug (I am using an apc key 25 but the method should be the same):
Incoming event 90 07 7f;
outgoing event ctrl(alt(num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 num 6 ))f9 ctrl(tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab)

in my keyboard shortcuts I have set ctrl(alt(num 6) to go to the next channel (I had my reasons) and I think I left ctrl(tab) on the setting to go to the previous channel.

This gives me an instant mute/unmute of channel 8 relative to my pointer on the pattern editor, I also had to tell it that the midi note off event should be ignored and doesnt send any message or else my controller ends up putting note off events but it all works awesomely - I have been really having a blast randomly launching channels etc. I might post the resultant profile save for bome's midi translator somewhere on this forum for other people who might be using the same controller ... obviously I would have to post my modplug keyboard layout too :)

Next step getting the lights to work! ..I have midi-ox hopefully to handle that, the lights get green but dont go off - I think I need to send velocity 0 of those same buttons to switch them off, and I know this controller can do multiple colours so wish me luck... utterly clueless really