"Farting" Bass on Fade out?

Started by I-S3-O, November 01, 2017, 16:18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

I'm trying to make a new instrument for my bass sound, since I've found that my old sample doesn't loop very well. So using IlioSynth, I made a simple Sin wave lo bass synth, exported it to Wav, brought it back in as a sample, and tested it out. The sample sounds fine, even after I applied a loop to it, but when I tried to turn it into an instrument and provide a fade out to it, it starts..."farting"...like a clipping sound gets introduced to it as it fades out. What exactly is happening?

Here's a link to the instrument I'm using. Just pop it into a project, and see what I mean.

Hopefully you'll see it, though. On this computer (which isn't my development one) I couldn't quite replicate the problem. However, I got this sample and instrument from that workstation, so hopefully you'll see it.

Saga Musix

I'm not exactly sure what you mean because I cannot hear any obvious unwanted noise. However, as with your previous question you have to keep in mind that with such a low-frequency sample, sudden volume changes can introduce audible pops, especially on those rapid envelope sections of your instrument.
You may also want to consider not resetting the "Resampling" setting of that instrument to "None", as that will also introduce a lot of most likely unwanted artefacts.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

Yeah, I remember that from what you told me last time, when I was asking you why I was getting a popping sound with a bass sample I made. So, because of that, I started using the envelopes and applied sharp fade outs to kill the sound quickly, as opposed to using Note Off. With this, I thought I was doing that as well. In fact, it's not the attack that causes the popping; the popping occurs during the looping section of the envelope. I click the Note Test button to start the sound, the sound reaches the loop just fine (no popping). I click it again to turn it off, and the sound pops as it fades.

As for the Resampling thing: oh shoot. I forgot I changed that. That was set to none; I started changing that and the sampling rate in hopes to remove the popping I was hearing.

Saga Musix

You have a sharp drop in volume when looping from the end of the sustain loop to the start of the sustain loop. When clicking the Note Test button again (or sending a note-off), the instrument jumps from the sustain loop to the regular loop in front of it, which result in another sharp drop in volume, causing another click. Those clicks are really hard to avoid and you will find them in many other sample players or synthesizers as well when dealing with low-frequency content.
However, one inconsistency I can observe is that the clicking is much more obvious in the instrument editor than in the pattern editor; The pattern editor's clicking behaviour is much more expected and correct. I will have to check why there is more clicking in the instrument editor.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

Sorry. I just noticed what you were looking at. That, too, was from me trying fix it.

Here's the real one I was using. The sharp dip wasn't there when I noticed it, and it happened during the looping section of the envelope.
Hey, is it possible my computer could be doing it? It uses a 32-bit OS. I don't know. I have no idea why it's not consistent.

Saga Musix

No, it is unlikely that your computer has anything to do with it, since OpenMPT's mixing is all done in software. However, what can affect the rendering are OpenMPT's mix settings, and I suspect in particular that you might have a too short ramp down setting in the mixer settings. The default of 952 µs should not cause any clicks when fading out.

I-S3-O

Do you mean for the instrument? Where would I find that?

Saga Musix

Fatarse

Gives me a a great idea for a song! Hahaha