Weird "80 Virtual Channels" Thing

Started by Really Weird Person, May 21, 2006, 22:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

What exactly do you mean by 80 virtual channels? What are virtual channels? Are they invisible channels? Does the 128-channel version support virtual channels? How many does it support? Up to 256? 512? 1,024?

PPH

Suppose you make a track with four channels. You use NNAs in the instruments. For example, you use Note Off. Now, suppose that, at some point, you make two four-note chords, one immediately after the other. As the instrument you're using has Note Off, each note playing in a channel doesn't get cut when the new note arrives. It keeps sounding for a while. So, in reality, although both notes are in the same channel, you hear two sounds at the same time for a while. You have two audio channels for each pattern channel. These audio channels are called virtual channels. In this case, your track has four channels, but in the point were the two chords are, it has eight virtual channels. Whilst the number of pattern channels is fixes, the number of virtual channels varies, according to what needs to be played. The maximum number of virtual channels that can be handled depends on the power of your CPU. If the number of virtual channels the track needs exceeds the maximum your CPU is capable of handling, the ones with least volume are simply discarded. In our example, suppose your CPU can manage only seven chanels. Then, one of the notes, the one with the least volume, will be cut.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Sam_Zen

Some post is missing here, I suppose.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Some post is missing here, I suppose.
Why? There's one question and one damn good answer. What else do you need?

Sam_Zen

Relax, I was just distracted by this profile thing. And a damn good answer indeed.

Really Weird Person

What post is that? Is it the fact that Kasey Kelly is the weirdest? If that is so, this post has fixed that one because guess what, Kasey is the weirdest!

speed-goddamn-focus

georg

To those who are confused i offer this enlightening explanation:

It's raining in Sweden, it's cold in Sweden and mr. speed-focus has the flu.

PS - It's 36 degrees here man, and the price of a cool breeze just went above the price of gas. Automobile gas, not flatulence.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I AM RELAXED DAMNIT!
:lol:

Really Weird Person

What profile thing? Do you mean my signature and how much space it occupies? I know it takes up a lot of space. Isn't that cool? What do you think of my numbering (in symbols)? That is pretty cool isn't it? Now it will be hard for you to forget that Kasey is the weirdest!

Sam_Zen

Signature and space indeed. After the 'Paul' line no more options, but repeats of qualification as a choice.
Never mind. This was about 80 virtual channels ? :)