New subforum?

Started by Exhale, September 23, 2017, 10:31:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

Hey guys, would it be ok with you guys to make a subforum for discussing code?

Nuances and tricks that we can share with eachother.
Also I have noticed many of my tricks have to change in specifics with the new modplug and since those kinds of things arent bugs but could be useful information to talk about I think a whole subforum here about it would be very useful for everyone.

For example I noticed one of the tricks I use to build swell in my house tunes needs to be refined with the new modplug, quick volume slides have picked up a tick and a crackle when applied to bass and so I have had to change my general method. I was using the instrument volume slide to get my timed swells but now I am going to need to refine the way I lay down the lines but until then I have noticed I get a good clean swell using the volume commands:

d03 on the hit
d09
c09
c09

example file added

Exhale

Hmmm... now I am seeing that the crackle is only present on the preview in the instrument tab too... so this possibly is a bug after all.
I admit I wasnt sure, so sorry if I got it wrong. I will open a ticket. But I still think a subforum in which we discuss and specifically post code would be cool.

Saga Musix

QuoteFor example I noticed one of the tricks I use to build swell in my house tunes needs to be refined with the new modplug, quick volume slides have picked up a tick and a crackle when applied to bass
Volume ramping has not changed in quite a while but of course it's possibel that your ramp-in and ramp-out options have been changed.

QuoteHey guys, would it be ok with you guys to make a subforum for discussing code?
You already posted in the subforum that is dedicated to anything related to the OpenMPT source code. If you meant talking about possible behaviour changes in OpenMPT, it's always the intention that legacy modules play the same way as they did in previous versions, so if playback changes considerably, a bug report or a post in the help forum would be enough.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Oh, no I meant more basically the music code of modplug, the stuff we make our songs out of :)
for example an old goodie (I use it often)

basic gating effects for your sample based instruments:

ModPlug Tracker MPT
|     v64D0A
|     v64D0A
|     v64...
|     v64D0A
copied and pasted directly from modplug, if you paste flood this over a string or other looping sample you will get a basic electronica gate you can customize to your liking.
each tick brings the vol to 64 first and then slides the volume down afterwards.
this is a trick many people might not know, and I am quite sure other people here have many more useful music coding hints than this.

I was thinking a place where people can just share modplug code they enjoyed making, but yeah just a suggestion, thinking of some way to encourage a little more community around the software.
Take it or leave it.