Timing Portamento right...

Started by (>o_o)>, May 21, 2006, 02:51:37

Previous topic - Next topic

(>o_o)>

Alright, let's say I am moving from a C-4 to a C-5, and I want to time it perfectly so that the protamento spread covers one measure(so that C-4 is the first beat of the first measure, and C-5 is the first beat of the second measure, and the transition between the 2 is perfect). Let's say the measure length is 64, tempo 240, speed 6. How would I time this right?
Welcome to the internet. The internet is a game. The object is to piss off as many people as possible. Only those who kiss ass and become moderators win. Enjoy your stay.

Squirrel Havoc

Wow, that one is so hard or so simple it eludes me. So I really can't help. So this post is a waste of server space :nuts:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Wow, that one is so hard or so simple it eludes me. So I really can't help. So this post is a waste of server space :nuts:

Don't post then :?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "(>o_o)>"Alright, let's say I am moving from a C-4 to a C-5, and I want to time it perfectly so that the protamento spread covers one measure(so that C-4 is the first beat of the first measure, and C-5 is the first beat of the second measure, and the transition between the 2 is perfect). Let's say the measure length is 64, tempo 240, speed 6. How would I time this right?

This is a hard question. I always do it on feeling, and I'd suggest you to do the same. Solo out that channel, set in some parameters, and look if you can find the right value.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Mathematics. Gather the actual variables involved, and consider the different ranges and types of number-systems.

Since a code for portamento, fine or raw, is based on 'change per tick' (I suppose), this would lead to the conclusion,
that a measure length or play-speed are not relevant variables.

If the row-number from C-4 to a C-5 would be 24, then each portamento code in a row could be set to half a note
higher. This of course can be coded more sophisticated, but the point it is, that once the right codes, then the
playback speed doesn't matter any more. It will be executed fine with the right timing anyway.

yrk

I just remembered another approach you can use... It's accurate but not very flexible...

I once needed to slide a pad sound down half a note over a whole bar and I did by creating a new instrument and using the pitch envelope to do it...

If you enable the grid lines in the envelope editor they should line up according to the temp of your song. There's also a vertical grid thing happening, I think it's "quarter tones", but in any case you'll probably be able to hear when you hit the right pitch...

Here's an example -> http://www.yrk.dk/temp/pitch_slide.it

(Quite possibly the shortest and most annoying mod I've ever made...)

It's not a very flexible approach but if you only need a few different accurate slides it maybe worth trying...
while (1) { fork(); }