OpenMPT logo and icon redesign (was: Some custom MPT icons I made)

Started by Midori Mizuno, September 07, 2017, 22:43:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I prefer the brighter version. In general the slightly increased contrast will also make the graphics more accesible to people with bad vision. So I suggest to go with that version (and update the other colors).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Midori Mizuno

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ellobo

Sounds like this is the one. Let me update the grey color on everything else so we have a unified look.

manx

What software are you using to design your artwork in the first place?

As it turns out, even though the SVGs you provide are indeed fine, this format might not be the optimal format for integrating into OpenMPT, because we probably have to convert the SVG to EMF+ for actual use (a conversion which Inkscape apparently cannot do without introducing unbearable artefacts and/or extremely huge files).
It would probably be useful to provide the original native file format of the application in addition (which would be needed to properly support potential future updates to the design anyway), and in particular, if supported, could you export also to .emf (preferably in EMF+ format ("Enhanced Metafile Format Plus Extensions"), but EMF format ("Enhanced Metafile Format") would also work). Might also be called .wmf ("Windows Metafile format"), however, please try to make sure to use the newer EMF versions if at all possible.

Regarding the design, I have nothing to add to what has already been said by others :)

ellobo

I'm using the newest version of Adobe Illustrator and I'm afraid the file formats you mentioned are not supported but I can provide you with the original files if that helps.

Saga Musix

Are you checking the export menu option? According to this help article, EMF should be supported: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/exporting-artwork.html
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ellobo

ellobo

Sorry about the huge amount of time that has passed. I tried to convert the files to emf before I went to Europe for a big part of the summer, where I didn't have my iMac. I'm sorry that didn't work but now I'm back in LA finally. Basically I have the same problem. I can't convert the files to emf without including all the extra stuff outside of the artboard in Illustrator. This is not a problem with svg. As soon as I choose emf it grays out the 'use artboards' option. I'm completely stuck. I could provide you with all the files as svg if there is some way that you could convert them?

Saga Musix

Welcome back. I guess in the end we will just have to convert the SVG to different resolutions (100% and 200% scaling, or just 200% scaling and scale it down to 100%, 125%, 150% etc on demand) for use within the application. The little amount of vector graphics we use does not really justify including a full-blown SVG renderer which would be almost the same size as the rest of OpenMPT executable.

manx

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 19, 2018, 07:47:58
I guess in the end we will just have to convert the SVG to different resolutions (100% and 200% scaling, or just 200% scaling and scale it down to 100%, 125%, 150% etc on demand) for use within the application. The little amount of vector graphics we use does not really justify including a full-blown SVG renderer which would be almost the same size as the rest of OpenMPT executable.

Agreed. Going forward, we could sometime of course use SVG in Windows 10 builds, where SVG support is available.

ellobo

Here are all the files in svg format. :)

Saga Musix

Thanks a lot! Now we can finally start integrating this into the program (and later into the website). You have done a really great work here.
If you are interested in further contributions, we can maybe talk about redoing (some of) the other icons as well.

Saga Musix

Oh, and I noticed that the about screen background waveform is still the dark variant, while I preferred the slightly brighter waveform.
Edit: I have noticed that the ripple effect on the about screen would also work better if the background was slightly grey-ish rather than complete black (something like #262626). Do you think you could change it to grey?

ellobo

Thanks you! It's been a pleasure. Here is the about screen with a grey-ish background and a brighter waveform. :)