Open .mo3 file failed

Started by mo3file, March 10, 2017, 15:12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mo3file

When i open .mo3 file, i got this error and i don't understand what it means with "documents".

Stefplug

Have you tried opening Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and making sure that you don't have OMPT process stuck non-respoding in there?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. Joseph Campbell

LPChip

When you open 100 songs, it will try to create a window for each song. The error refers to them as documents, but they are in fact songs. Closing songs is what the error suggests.

If the problem happens with an empty openMPT, it might be that the song itself somehow got corrupted. If you have autosave enabled, try and see if you can open one of the autosave versions.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Please provide the MO3 file in question to have a look at. There are at least two different file formats with the "MO3" extension, and I suspect you are using the wrong application to open your particular MO3 file. But I can only confirm that by looking at the file in question.

Stefplug: The dialog comes from OpenMPT itself, so it's not stuck. It just shows this dialog for any file it fails to open.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

@Saga Musix: Wouldn't it be more logical if the error message said songs rather than documents? Or is it an MDI related error? (or what the name of the framework is that we use?)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Yes, I have changed the error message to say "module" rather than "document" for the next version. (I prefer "module" over "song" since strictly speaking the content of a module doesn't need to be a song.)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

manx

I think the message could also more prominently explain that failure to open could be due to a corrupted file or simply due to an unsupported module format or module format variant.

Saga Musix

Yes, that would be desirable, though the question is also how well this could be supported by the current implementation with MFC. At this point of the code, we only know the document pointer is 0, which could be because no more documents can be created, or because the file is corrupted / etc. If we throw exceptions, we will have to check if there are no other parts of the code where we cannot add try...catch handlers.

LPChip

+1 on the changes so far. :) Good work all of you.

mo3file

Restarted my PC and now it says 0 documents.
I extracted the mo3 music files from an old PC game but this program can't open.
Here are my files
http://usersdownload.com/q4p3v88p14d6.html

manx

Quote from: mo3file on March 12, 2017, 13:47:34
Restarted my PC and now it says 0 documents.
As already explained, having too many open modules in OpenMPT is just one possible explanation for the error, not necessarily the most likely one. The most likely one being an unsupported module file format or format variant or simply a corrupted file.

Quote from: mo3file on March 12, 2017, 13:47:34
I extracted the mo3 music files from an old PC game but this program can't open.
Here are my files
http://usersdownload.com/q4p3v88p14d6.html
I have not yet had a closer look at your file, but even unmo3.exe from http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?mo324 cannot uncompress it, so it may have gotten corrupted in some way.

mo3file

oh but the mo3 can play in-game. Not sure why. Is the headers missing or something?

Saga Musix

That's an interesting file. Maybe it was written with a very early version of the MO3 encoder, using a slightly different format than what is used nowadays. Maybe it can only be read using a very old version of BASS.DLL. The first problem is that after uncompressing the file, the decoded size is incorrect, but even when ignoring this little issue, the file can still not be read because it is laid out differently than any MO3 decoder would expect. I'll see if anything can be done about that, but I cannot promise it for now.

mo3file

Oh ok. The game i owned was build around 2004-2005 i guess so yeah it's using early version of .mo3

Saga Musix

It would be helpful if you could provide the name of the game, since then we can actually verify which version of BASS it uses to play the file. :)
According to Ian (the creator of the MO3 format) there shouldn't be any early MO3 format revisions that are incompatible with the current MO3 format specification, but it is possible that the game developer modified the MO3 file (and then automatically patches it while being loaded into the game) to avoid the exact thing you are trying to do - namely playing the music outside the game.