Using OpenMPT's midi capabilities

Started by Exhale, January 28, 2017, 03:19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

Ok with the next version of modplug, we shall be gaining an awesome new midi import, and this is a way you can play with open-modplug without understanding the code completely but still learn all about the sample systems, and yes, make your own song without really knowing any code which is also especially easier for those people who know other sequencer software;

(--PLEASE NOTE, this is not intended as a replacement for learning modplug, it is a jump into the deep end for those who might fear the code at first, I know I did when I first started on Impulse Tracker at 14 years old.
There is nothing to fear in the code, and you should still please experiment with selecting instruments that this system has provided you with in your new mptm and hitting your keyboard keys in the pattern editor.
It is intended as an introduction to modplug, and a handy little tool if you are up for a bit of random midi generated fun.--)

grab https://www.kvraudio.com/product/random-midi-arranger-by-gradywerks RMA,
play around with it like any other sequencer and / or just hit the button on the top left that says 'auto randomize song',
save it as a midi,
open it in modplug, it will sound like a pretty shitty midi (depending on your soundfonts) but all the code should be lined up etc ^_^
then hit the instrument tab replace some of the sounds with ones you might have on hand and slide in a little random panning variation on everything other than a bass drum (speaking of, you might need to up the pitch of a replaced bass drum using this system, I did),
then click the tick boxes for reso and cutoff,
drag the sliders a bit while the song is playing the instrument you are working on,
now apply some random variation on the cutoff, res and volume.
Examine the code by clicking on any parts that might confuse you in the pattern editor, look at the bottom of the screen, the bar at the bottom of the screen will tell you what that particular bit of code does. Now double click on the pattern editor, blank spot or occupied spot doesn't matter, it will bring up another way to input code, this is also a great place to learn the code for whatever format you are making, but if you have used my method it will probably still call itself a mid file at the top bar, now go to save... you will see it automatically wants to save as mptm, let it ;)
bam... your first 'mod' I have now posted the results I got from this method.

I like kittens, so this isnt me recommending people use modplug as a midi player ;)
This system is a great little bridge I think for people who are used to piano rolls from things like fruity loops to learn the modplug coding and still be productive, and for myself I am going to use it the other way around.

LPChip

This reply has nothing to do with the tutorial, so I've split the topic into a new one. Also, keep in mind that midi capabilities is nothing new in OpenMPT.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

Quote from: LPChip on January 28, 2017, 13:53:59
This reply has nothing to do with the tutorial, so I've split the topic into a new one. Also, keep in mind that midi capabilities is nothing new in OpenMPT.
it is an easy method to make songs for noobs, thought it was extremely fitting, but ok then.

LPChip

Maybe, but without learning OpenMPT the proper way, the above will never allow you to use OpenMPT the way it was intended to be.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

Quote from: LPChip on January 28, 2017, 15:37:42
Maybe, but without learning OpenMPT the proper way, the above will never allow you to use OpenMPT the way it was intended to be.
I agree completely :) and ok since this topic is about using modplugs midi capabilities I would then like to mention the other software I am using to grab my notation from simple recordings and make them into midi.

Amazing Midi, also free software (I pretty much only use free software) http://ccm.net/download/download-23753-amazingmidi
To use it you are going to need to hit one note in a recording first and hold it for as long as the ring takes it giving the software a reference note, take this single note in a file save it as wav and open it in the "tone file" slot.
Your composition then goes into the input file slot, then click the transcribe drop-down, and then the only option there transcribe - this will bring up a menu, I find if I have compressed my composition properly the Maximum Analysis Amplitude and minimum relative amplitude sliders need to be dragged all the way to the right (max) and then I can get a decent midi file. Click start and it will now have made a midi of your recording. Take this into modplug and have fun :)
This is a great method to get that realistic musician feel, I admit I havent tried it with many other instruments than piano from my keyboard, but in theory it should work.

Saga Musix

Please note that this topic is currently more confusing than anything to most users because the MIDI import in the currently publicly available OpenMPT versions is all but great. We will have to wait a few more months until OpenMPT 1.27 is released.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Ok cool, I didn't expect it to be it's own topic... and yes, super enthusiastic about the midi import.

[edit] I changed the beginning of my first post so that will maybe lead into it better.