Module recovery

Started by ida, January 23, 2017, 01:00:07

Previous topic - Next topic

ida

My brand new laptop keeps on rebooting at random times for no apparent reason. Just a few minutes ago, it decided to reboot right as i saved a module i was working on... and now i can't open the file anymore, which sucks because i spent quite some time on it already. Can the module be restored in any way? I've added a download link, i'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look at it for me.

Dropbox

Exhale

I admit my laptop did something like that yesterday, it doesnt have a reliable battery and there was a power out as I clicked ctrl s, that work was lost completely, I dont expect to get it back... and it has happened in the past... I admit I blame myself when it happens because I know it happens and I should save backups, but this work was just something small I had started working on... it had begun to get cool but I decided fuck it, I doubt there is anything I can do. I hope yours works out man, but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Saga Musix

QuoteCan the module be restored in any way?
Just look at the file in a hex editor, you will see that it only consists of zeros - there is nothing at all in this file that could be restored.

For now: If you are lucky, there are shadow copies of your file. Right-click the file in explorer and click on the entry named something like "restore previous version". If you cannot find anything there, you may want to review your system settings so that shadow copies are turned on for the volume on which your store your modules and other precious data. They have helped me restoring accidentally deleted stuff more than once.

For the future: Use periodic auto save and *.bak files. There is no excuse to not use them.

Also, random reboots are typically a sign of broken hardware, e.g. a faulty RAM module. You should make use of your laptop's warranty as soon as you can.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Shadow copies are turned off by default. You need to enable them manually in windows. In windows 10, they're enabled through Control Panel -> File History.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteShadow copies are turned off by default.
Incorrect. In particular, shadow copies are always turned on for the system drive on fresh installations.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Hmm, odd. In a past install it was disabled on my system drive too, but I see its enabled now, even though file history is turned off. Interesting.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs