Midi from wav or line in

Started by Exhale, January 19, 2017, 19:28:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

I recently gained a keyboard and as I am a fairly proficient pianist I have been plonking away and enjoying it, however when it came to integrating it with modplug I discovered it does not have a midi out system and at first my only option seemed to be pure recordings. This did not stop me, and I did a few of those but at the same time discovered : Amazingmidi, which converts the wav file to midi, and that works on and off, it does at least give me notes resembling my original playing and sometimes very close with the little bit of messing around I have done... just wondering if you guys have any random suggestions, maybe one of you know the program well or have a better suggestion for a system to get the midi.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT has both MIDI input and output: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_MIDI_Reference

Edit: I misunderstood "it does not have..." as "OpenMPT does not have...". So if there is no way of transferring MIDI between the device and your computer, the tool you mentioned is probably the only solution (apart from getting a better keyboard). Also note that OpenMPT 1.27's improved MIDI import may help here to import the MIDI more accurately, at least when it comes to timing (not the notes themselves).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

this is the keyboard I have :
http://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/ctk1300/
as far as all my examinations have shown has no midi out capability. I certainly didnt get any special cables with it but maybe there are ones to get.

"Plug your MIDI device into your computer. Unless the device has a PC-specific port (serial or USB), or your computer has a MIDI-specific input, you will probably need a special converter plug to transfer MIDI messages between the two. Check your device's manual to make sure you have the correct connection. Many newer computer models no longer use serial ports, but some older MIDI synths provided them. If you are planning to purchase a MIDI device for use with OpenMPT, it is advisable to get one with USB connections, since they are generally the most universal and they have a higher data exchange speed and reliability."

Either way amazingmidi has interpreted the note hits into midi for me from pure wav recordings, but it gives annoying pattern structure to say the least, so not my ideal solution.
it's about connection, I do not have a special cable if one exists for this model.
So maybe a vst solution or another bit of software if anyone knows of such things?

LPChip

I know this is likely not what you want to hear, but a simple midi keyboard is really cheap. I'd get one of those too.

I have 5 keyboards if not more, and not every one of them has midi, but thats okay. I have 2 which I specifically use for Midi, the rest is used for playing with its capabilities.

One of these which I use for its capabilities does have midi functionality, but I don't use it because I have other devices for that.

My CME 42key midi keyboard was under 100 euro, is USB powered and is great for taking it with me with my laptop for when I'm playing somewhere else, or otherwise used to configure vsti's. (turn knobs while playing a melody)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Exhale: Please see my edited answer above. You can grab a test build of OpenMPT 1.27 at https://buildbot.openmpt.org/ - maybe the patterns look better in that? There are some new options for MIDI import in the options dialog that might help you too.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Quote from: LPChip on January 19, 2017, 21:10:07
I know this is likely not what you want to hear, but a simple midi keyboard is really cheap. I'd get one of those too.
not at all, I figured that out already but I was just hoping against hope I suppose, found another bit of software called TS-Audio to midi, and that does it while I play so I got stuck into that for a few hours now. :)
Saga:
thank you I will grab a build and see if the midi import does a better job, thank you for the pointer, grabbing openmpt-win32-1.27.00.29-r7528.7z

Exhale

Great stuff, the midi file import settings are really super helpful. thank you again Saga.

Saga Musix

Good to hear that it helped.
(Also it's Saga, not Sega.)

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 20, 2017, 16:23:18
Good to hear that it helped.
(Also it's Saga, not Sega.)
XD sorry, 90s kid - changed them

Exhale

As an example of how you guys have helped me here and a thank you and if you guys would like to maybe include it in the next update here is an mptm I made using the method I told you about and with a few adjustments on your new midi import settings I can much more easily work with this. Thank you very much Saga and the team!