control Note hold/short stroke

Started by Stefan_L_01, December 28, 2016, 12:03:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan_L_01

Hi
I´m very new or let´s say unexperienced with ModPlug, used it mostly as drum machine so far.
Now I wanted to add some Keyboard sound and downloaded some sf2 files.
They - and also some drum loops which run perfectly with much older version - produce a lot of plob sound now, obviously when the note ends.
I just added a pattern with some singular notes, say C-5.
I found out that this simple command seems to produce a note which plays longer, without release, kind of extended sample. At the end it cuts harshly and this produces the plob. I can reproduce if I hold C-5 KeyboardKey in the instrument view, while a short keystroke to C-5 produces a normal fading sound without plob.

How can I disable this extended sample play, how get normal fading without plob in the pattern editor?

thx
Stefan

Rakib

^^

Stefan_L_01

How is the usage? If I use tilde, I get a C00 effect which cuts the sound way too much
==, I can hit = nothing happens

Can't I change default behaviour like older versions? It worked flawlessly. New version not.
Thx

Saga Musix

Quote from: Stefan_L_01 on December 28, 2016, 16:14:34
How is the usage? If I use tilde, I get a C00 effect which cuts the sound way too much
Sounds like you are composing in MOD format. If you want to fade out notes in the MOD format, you have to use the A0x (volume slide) or EBx (fine volume slide) effects.

The list of various ways of stopping notes for all module formats supported by OpenMPT is available in the pattern editor manual.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yeah, sounds like you are using the very limited .MOD format. I would recommend switching to .MTPM if the format is not a requirement. You can do so much more that way.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Stefan_L_01

I made a new mtpm Format and i can´t edit a fade or something. It is just not possible to type the commands so they Show up.

Also, I don´t understand why some Default behaviour had to Change. It worked well in the past. A Long holded note demands imo a Special command, the Default behaviour should be simply to Play the sample as it is.

BR
Stefan

Saga Musix

QuoteIt is just not possible to type the commands so they Show up.
Please look up the corresponding keys in your OpenMPT keyboard configuration. Depending on the key map you use, they may be bound to different keys so I cannot tell you which exact key you have to press to enter a Note Fade or Note Off.

QuoteAlso, I don´t understand why some Default behaviour had to Change. It worked well in the past.
The behaviour didn't change. If it did, thousands of module files would no longer play correctly. Samples are always played "as-is"; if they have a loop, the loop is played forever, if they don't have a loop, the sample stops at some point. However, there was a lot of bugfixing being done for SF2 files so it is entirely possible that some SF2 files are now loaded differently than you are used to. However, without looking at your specific SF2 files, all we can do is make guesses. If you do not provide the SF2 file, I can also not tell you why it may play differently in current versions.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.