Real/True Loop option

Started by Drekinn, October 12, 2016, 05:15:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Drekinn

I'm sure I saw an option somewhere called 'True Loop' or 'Real Loop' which, when enabled, takes into account the lingering sound of notes played in the final pattern and wraps that sound into the first pattern, allowing for a seamless music loop.

However, I've searched high and low for this option and can't find it. Please help.  :-[

Saga Musix

That should be the default - maybe you have "Reset channels on loop" enabled in the General settings.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Drekinn

Nope, the 'Reset channels on loop' option is not enabled.
I distinctly remember the phrase 'real loop' or 'true loop' being mentioned. Surely one of the OpenMPT devs would know of its existence?
Whether or not this particular option exists, how can I create a seamless loop? Any help is appreciated.

Saga Musix

QuoteSurely one of the OpenMPT devs would know of its existence?
Hello, I am the OpenMPT main developer. Such an option has not existed in OpenMPT for the last 15 years, and I am sure it has not existed before that as well. Maybe you are confusing OpenMPT with another tracker.
If you do not have "Reset channels on loop" enabled, then any notes at the end of the song should continue playing when it restarts, so I do not quite understand what your problem actually is. If it existed, what should "true loop" do in addition to that?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Drekinn

Maybe you are confusing OpenMPT with another tracker.
I can only imagine that this is the case, but I've no idea which.  Anyone know?  ??? (It's really bugging me.)

If you do not have "Reset channels on loop" enabled, then any notes at the end of the song should continue playing when it restarts
This is the problem. 'Reset channels on loop' is not enabled yet lingering notes at the song end do not continue playing upon restart.

Is there some other option I'm unaware of that needs to be enabled to allow note looping? What are the steps involved?

Saga Musix

Quote'Reset channels on loop' is not enabled yet lingering notes at the song end do not continue playing upon restart.
Are there maybe note cut commands or similar stuff on the first pattern of the module that would stop such notes? If not, does it happen with any module?
Just not having "Reset channels on loop" enabled should be enough to keep notes playing on loop. That is, if you actually loop the module. If you have "loop song" disabled on the General Tab and just restart the song after it finished playing, then of course the previously playing notes will be cut.

Drekinn

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the OpenMPT editor the notes are looping just fine; it's the exported wav file that fails to retain this seamless loop. Surely it's possible?

LPChip

Ah, but that is not really possible.

An export to wave renders the song from start to finish as if it was never played. In order to have it seamlessly loop like that, you will have to edit the orderlist, add the last (or two if notes have long duration) patterns to the start, export that to wav, then manually edit the waveform and cut off the start.

Do note that it will mean that when the song starts, it will have these looped notes there already which can sound unintended if the player does not fades it in. This technique is usually used in gamedesign where the songs are fade in, and made loopable.

Alternatively, you'll have to design the song so that no notes loop in any case and the natural loop sounds okay even in wav.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: Drekinn on October 13, 2016, 07:44:35it's the exported wav file that fails to retain this seamless loop.
Please be as precise as possible the next time you ask a question; this thread could have been handled in a single answer without all the guesswork if you had mention that you want to export your song.
As LPChip mentions, simply stick the last one or two patterns to the start of the order list, and then cut the exported WAV file at the corresponding cue points (be sure that cue points are enabled in the export dialog). A good audio editor will show those cue points to you, and OpenMPT itself can import them as well but does not currently visualize them. Their position is displayed in the context menu, though.

There is no general automated solution for this problem because it is not generally solvable, just an approximation is possible.

Drekinn

Quote from: LPChip
In order to have it seamlessly loop like that, you will have to edit the orderlist, add the last (or two if notes have long duration) patterns to the start, export that to wav, then manually edit the waveform and cut off the start.
I figured that might be the case. Oh well, I suppose it's not much effort to rearrange the order list to end with a non-looping pattern. Thanks for your help. :)

Quote from: Saga Musix
this thread could have been handled in a single answer without all the guesswork if you had mention that you want to export your song.
Sorry, yes, I must apologise for that oversight. I was a little too focused on the problem to realise.  :P
Thanks for the advice on using cue points. :)

Sorry again for the confusion.