workflow tips on working on a looped section

Started by bklnlks, September 13, 2016, 14:04:53

Previous topic - Next topic

bklnlks

i have for years been using the CXX command to make the player jump to certain positions when working on a section within a pattern, forcing MPT to only loop within the confines of the part i am focusing on. i have a feeling there must be a better, more streamlined way built into the program for this very purpose, but i have never had the courage to go on reading through manuals.

could a charitable soul please enlighten me in case there is indeed such function in this great piece of software?

cheers!

Saga Musix

You are probably (hopefully) aware that you can use "play from cursor" to start playing the pattern from the current cursor position. However, there is indeed no way to just loop a specific range of rows of a pattern without entering some pattern commands (like Cxx or SBx). This is currently only possible for a range of orders (through the order list lock), but it would indeed be a useful addition to also be able to lock playback to some rows.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bklnlks

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 13, 2016, 14:08:24
You are probably (hopefully) aware that you can use "play from cursor" to start playing the pattern from the current cursor position. However, there is indeed no way to just loop a specific range of rows of a pattern without entering some pattern commands (like Cxx or SBx). This is currently only possible for a range of orders (through the order list lock), but it would indeed be a useful addition to also be able to lock playback to some rows.

thank you. yes, i am aware of the 'play from cursor' keyboard shortcut and use it often.

a fuction that would use the currently selected range and loop it would indeed be quite useful, wouldn't it!

Saga Musix

Alright, I have added an experimental feature: OpenMPT 1.27.00.10 / r7113 adds a lock feature to the pattern context menu (also usable via user-definable shortcut). The context menu item becomes available if a pattern selection has been made, and restricts playback to this selection.
You can get updated test builds soon (within a few hours) at https://buildbot.openmpt.org/builds/
Please report any issues you have with this new feature, it hasn't been tested very much.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.