Trying to open the Plugin Manager causes OpenMPT to hang

Started by shinybraixen, October 11, 2016, 08:29:06

Previous topic - Next topic

shinybraixen

Hiya!

I've been using OpenMPT a bit more lately (after having left it dormant for months), and so I tried to make a new song! However, when I try to open the plugin manager, the program hangs: The whole thing becomes unresponsive and clicking anywhere just makes the windows "can't do that" sound.  Pressing Escape does stop the hanging, but the Plugin Manager never opens.  If a song is playing when I try, the song will keep playing, but I won't be able to stop it until I press Escape to stop the hanging.

I've looked at other old songs of mine with plugins, and the songs run fine with the right plugins!  Just, if I try to open the manager, it hangs again.

I'm on Windows 10, using OpenMPT 64 bit, Version 1.26.05.00.  I don't believe I actually have any VSTs loaded in; I had just been using the default plugins.

Is there some way to fix this?

Thank you! :)

Saga Musix

If there are no custom VST plugins at all, this is very weird.
As a first step, please check in Task Manager if either PluginBridge32.exe or PluginBridge64.exe are running.
If that is not the case, please follow the steps described here for creating a memory dump (mind the notice about 64-bit systems, please) and then compress (preferrably using 7z or rar) and upload it somewhere. https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Frequently_Asked_Questions#OpenMPT_crashed_but_did_not_create_a_memory_dump
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

shinybraixen

I tried to follow the directions with the 64-bit version of the Task Manager, but it only created 0-byte files!  I made a dump file with just the normal Task Manager from Control-Shift-Escape, though!

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/abwwx4173yd1j6s/mptrack%20%283%29.7z?dl=0

I did this while it was hanging, without having a song open or playing!

Saga Musix

Sadly that memory dump does not seem to give any indication of what's happening. Can you please provide your mptrack.ini (Help -> Show Settings Folder) to have a look at?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

There are indeed no custom plugins being loaded... The reason for the "hang" is much more simple. :)
I guess something went wrong when upgrading from an older version, and possibly some multi-screen setup was being used as well. As a result, the plugin selection dialog ended up off-screen, making OpenMPT seemingly hang.
The solution to your problem is most likely to remove the following lines from your mptrack.ini:
PlugSelectWindowX=-1046
PlugSelectWindowY=310

I will look into improving this particular part of the code so that the window can no longer be placed off-screen because of bogus values from mptrack.ini.

shinybraixen

That indeed was the solution! :)  The Plugin Manager is back on screen.

Now that I think about it, that makes sense--earlier in the year I was using a dual-monitor setup, and now I'm just using one and updated recently.

Thank you very much! :)