Audio manipulation libs for BASIC?

Started by Harbinger, August 09, 2016, 19:41:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I'm developing the GUI for my own tracker/sequencer/DAW, and soon I will be programming it, and I was wondering what libs I should use that has minimal requirements but the most features. The openmpt lib is okay but I think I'm going to need more capabilities, and I'd like to avoid requiring "higher" packages like NET and all that.

I'll be using Liberty BASIC to do the program, but I don't know how far I can go. This BASIC can call DLL functions, which I'm sure i'll need to do, because its sound-editing capabilities are... well, basic.

The application will be for Windows only for now, as I only need it to serve my purposes. I should be able to edit sample data, render and display audio to graphic waveforms, pass MIDI messages, record audio thru the computer, and use equations to create tones.

Does anyone have any references on libraries I should look into? I have not begun the heavy research yet, but our experts here may be able to point me in the right direction... 8)

Saga Musix

What you ask for will most likely require more than just one library, since I am not aware of any "swiss army knife audio library" which does all of that at once - BASS comes close to it with its rich set of plugins, but you will have to do e.g. waveform drawing by yourself (not that it would be a complex task compared to some of the others). If you were to use e.g. Visual Basic.NET instead, you could use BASS.NET, which contains all of the BASS functionality plus some .NET-specific extras such as a waveform display.
If you are lucky there are already ready-made headers for BASS written in LibertyBASIC, otherwise you will have to use e.g. the Visual Basic 6 headers and somehow translate the function declaration to LibertyBASIC's syntax.
I don't really know about its current feature set, but FMOD is another competitor to BASS.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Thanks, that's a good lead.

You're right. I will probably have to use several libs for the project, but I'm sure i'll find what I need. I'll report here what I find in case one day one of the devs would like to make use of them for other features for openMPT.

I did look at BASS but I can't take the documentation home with me. So I can't say how helpful it's going to be. But it does look promising. ;)

Saga Musix

The online documentation is an exact copy of BASS.CHM and the add-ons' help files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.