Main Menu

XP x64

Started by theelf, July 24, 2016, 22:37:22

Previous topic - Next topic

theelf

Hi! greetings

Any way to disable the prompt "requieres windows 7 or later" in 64bit version? i was looking for a checkbox without luck

I use OpenMPT in XP x64 without any problem, is just a cosmetic stuff,  i need to click NO every time i open the program   ;D

A checkbox in the setup to disable the prompt will be great

Thanks, good work

Saga Musix

There is the /noSysCheck which disables any checks, but it is absolutely recommended that you use the 32-bit version on Windows XP instead - The generated code is targeted at Windows 7+ and thus may crash on Windows XP at any given time. Just because it didn't crash so far on your doesn't meant that it won't in the future.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I run windows 8.1 x64 but I still use the 32 bit version of OpenMPT inside it for the very same reason.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

manx

Quote from: LPChip on July 25, 2016, 07:26:27
I run windows 8.1 x64 but I still use the 32 bit version of OpenMPT inside it for the very same reason.

Uhm, OpenMPT Win64 will not display that message on Windows 8.1 x64. So, I am not sure what you mean by "very same reason".

manx

Quote from: theelf on July 24, 2016, 22:37:22
Any way to disable the prompt "requieres windows 7 or later" in 64bit version? i was looking for a checkbox without luck
I use OpenMPT in XP x64 without any problem, is just a cosmetic stuff,  i need to click NO every time i open the program   ;D
Quote from: Saga Musix on July 25, 2016, 01:01:08
There is the /noSysCheck which disables any checks, but it is absolutely recommended that you use the 32-bit version on Windows XP instead - The generated code is targeted at Windows 7+ and thus may crash on Windows XP at any given time. Just because it didn't crash so far on your doesn't meant that it won't in the future.
Also, see https://openmpt.org/download and https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5519.0 for further explanations/discussion.

Quote from: theelf on July 24, 2016, 22:37:22
A checkbox in the setup to disable the prompt will be great
No, as that would imply that this configuration would be a supported configuration, which it certainly is not.

LPChip

Right, its not for the very same reason I guess. Though I remember that Saga Musix recommended to use the 32 bit build unless I had plugins that really required 64 bit. Something with slowdowns and crashes IIRC.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteRight, its not for the very same reason I guess.
Can you maybe just read more thoroughly what people write before hastily replying in the future? I know I have said this before but you keep often posting inaccurate or outdated information, which of course by itself is not a good thing to do, but even less so for someone who is wearing the Administrator badge. I know you just want to be helpful, but when the intent is destroyed by your posts, it doesn't help anyone.

QuoteThough I remember that Saga Musix recommended to use the 32 bit build unless I had plugins that really required 64 bit. Something with slowdowns and crashes IIRC.
You should run the 64-bit version on a modern system unless most of your plugins are 32-bit plugins, because otherwise the majority of plugins will run through the plugin bridge. This would be slower and, depending on the plugin, not always as stable as running them natively. Luckily a huge bunch of plugins is available as 64-bit plugins these days, so most of the time only a few legacy 32-bit plugins will have to be bridged when using the 64-bit version.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

theelf

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 25, 2016, 01:01:08

Oh, thanks a lot. The command line did the trick..no more extra click  :)

No problem, i dont use MPT for work, just for fun and personal stuff,  if it crash is not big deal for me (and i can use the 32bits anytime) 

But like I say, for now works like a charm in XP x64

Thanks

Saga Musix

Quoteif it crash is not big deal for me
It's not that it just could crash - it could simply not work as intended, and there is no way for you of finding out until something really bad happens. "It worked so far" doesn't mean "it will always work".

Again: If you do not have a very good reason to the 64-bit version (the only valid reason is that you need to run 64-bit VST plugins), you should use the 32-bit version instead. Don't use the 64-bit version just "because you can" and because it looks cool to you. Only the 32-bit version is verified to work as intended on Windows XP, and it doesn't miss any features compared to the 64-bit version.

theelf

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 26, 2016, 22:53:08
Quoteif it crash is not big deal for me
It's not that it just could crash - it could simply not work as intended, and there is no way for you of finding out until something really bad happens. "It worked so far" doesn't mean "it will always work".

Again: If you do not have a very good reason to the 64-bit version (the only valid reason is that you need to run 64-bit VST plugins), you should use the 32-bit version instead. Don't use the 64-bit version just "because you can" and because it looks cool to you. Only the 32-bit version is verified to work as intended on Windows XP, and it doesn't miss any features compared to the 64-bit version.

Thanks again, dont worry, i only use mostly for convert midi to mod, to export to megadrive tracker,  and for this works good, no problem at all (at least, the output mod is same that 32bit version)

I dont have any idea how to compose music anyways to check if works or not as intended :)

Thanks for help

Saga Musix

See, you have exactly zero reasons to use the 64-bit version. Why do you want to take the risk that a program version that was not made for your operating system suddenly blows up while you can have a version that is tested and guaranteed to work on your system?