[Synthpop] Mindful Journey (it/ogg)

Started by Saga Musix, July 11, 2016, 21:38:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

More synthpop by bacter and me. Believe it or not, but it's only 21 channels this time!
I'd say it has quite an Amiga-ish vibe, despite the big file size. ;)

Download
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Brozilla

Amiga is a bit beyond my time (I think?) but from what I know it does indeed have an Amiga-like sound. Honestly I'd just blame the file-size on the use of stereo samples but with multi megabit internet speeds I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind it :)

If you don't mind sharing I'm curious as to where you usually get your samples like if there is a certain website or something, perhaps a variety of them. Or perhaps you extract them from synthesizers you own? Without VST effects I'm genuinely surprised at the sound you're able to get with the channels alone. Either way this is a very enjoyable piece and glad the channel count is "low", yes it's about the music but watching it onscreen is pretty fun too.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

Saga Musix

Thanks for the listen!

QuoteIf you don't mind sharing I'm curious as to where you usually get your samples like if there is a certain website or something, perhaps a variety of them.
You can always find the sample sources in the sample filenames in OpenMPT. In this particular case, most samples are from my Roland XV-5080 - I have long said that the Roland D-50 is my favourite synth, but the XV-5080 adds some serious competition to that. :P
The "Kawai Mix 1" patch in particular is really nice - yes, it sounds like it does in the module right when coming out of the synth, I didn't bitcrush it or anything (and it's not bitcrushed in the synth either).

So, most of my samples are recorded from hardware in my studio, or from instrument plugins (mostly Synth1, KORG Wavestation and M1).
I rarely download samples (except for effect samples like the water splash in "Outline Bees"), but most of those are obtained from freesound.
I often also apply VST effects directly to the samples, so this track is not entirely "without VST effects" - they are just already baked into the samples. Some of the samples have reverb and compression applied to them, for example the first five samples have been lifted from an Amiga MOD, I resampled them and added some reverb.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Brozilla

In the past I've thought about investing in Korg Wavestation samples and it wasn't until recently I started exploring Roland. Thanks for sharing, gotta take a look at those then!
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

Saga Musix

Nothing against KORG (I love their sounds!), but I have to say that M1/Wavestation sounds are grossly overrepresented in retro-style music due to their easily available plugin variants.
That said, I'd throw MONEY at Roland to finally release a D-50 emulation!