Sample issue

Started by AmarSharma, July 20, 2016, 00:00:09

Previous topic - Next topic

AmarSharma

Hi

I have just started using Open MPT for mobile game music production, having used Fl Studio and more recently Cubase. Needless to say I was a bit freaked out when I first opened up the program but some research and a few youtube tutorials and I managed to make a small test track. Slowly falling in love with this siftware.....

My main problem is that when I load a sample, the sound is no longer quite the same. Even if i play with the tuning I can not seem to get it back to the original sound. One of the tutorials I watched showed this process with no change to the sample sound upon import so I am not sure what it is that I have missed.... I would not asl but have been unable to find any reference to this anywhere... Help!

We have found this software in an effort to reduce the size of the audio elements of the game currently in development and for future games. We already have the music, note samples to create multi sample instruments, and the midi files for the current game. I understand importing midi is a bit hit or miss, and that there are other softwares to aid the process or convert the midi to other formats. I read this on various forums but the posts were a good few years old... Is this still the case?

Thanks

Saga Musix

Hello and welcome to ModPlug Central.
There are several traps you could be falling into:
1) Using the MOD format: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Frequently_Asked_Questions#When_converting_to_MOD.2C_all_samples_sound_strange
You will have to steer around this by transposing your pattern data, or use a more modern format.
2) Manually replacing samples of an existing multisampled instrument, or manually creating a multisampled instrument: Might be the same problem as this: https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5485.0 - see my first reply for an explanation.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Brozilla

Quote from: AmarSharma on July 20, 2016, 00:00:09
My main problem is that when I load a sample, the sound is no longer quite the same. Even if i play with the tuning I can not seem to get it back to the original sound. One of the tutorials I watched showed this process with no change to the sample sound upon import so I am not sure what it is that I have missed.... I would not asl but have been unable to find any reference to this anywhere... Help!

We have found this software in an effort to reduce the size of the audio elements of the game currently in development and for future games. We already have the music, note samples to create multi sample instruments, and the midi files for the current game. I understand importing midi is a bit hit or miss, and that there are other softwares to aid the process or convert the midi to other formats. I read this on various forums but the posts were a good few years old... Is this still the case?

Thanks
Not sure what format you're using but XM, IT, MPTPM doesn't appear to suffer from that. Depending on how "messed up" your sound is you might want to reformat the original sample. Example being a number of FL Studio ".wav" drums seem to import poorly and not even play with WMP so I use Audacity and export the sample (as a wav) and it'll fix the issue

When it comes to importing a MIDI to OpenMPT it usually works fine. The way channels are laid out might not necessarily (but usually is) be consistent. The only issues you might run into is maybe pitch bending or perhaps tied notes cutting off. The clean up work is usually fast and trivial, if you need to export a MIDI that's where things might get a bit finicky.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

LPChip

Also, make sure you have set the right octave when entering or playing samples. Its a stupid thing to say, but it can be something this simple that is easily overlooked by beginners to the software. A C-5 should generally give you the correct pitch when using the .IT format.

Also, there's a tutorial written on the wiki. Try following that one step by step to see if it happens there too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

AmarSharma

Thanks for all the advice, I will have a play soon and let you know how i get on with trying those methods out. Its so great that there are so many helpful people out there especially as this program is quite daunting to get to grips with! I initially started playing with .mod but realised it is quite limited so i now use .it

Am a bit busy for the coming days but i will be back once i have tried it all out, hopefully to say thanks again but im 99.99% sure ill have some other questions 😂😂