How can I get all channels to actually produce any sound?

Started by Theultimate12, June 04, 2016, 15:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Theultimate12

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on June 29, 2016, 03:30:01
First off is you don't need to convert .xi files with openmpt. You could load it right in. When you are ripping, are you doing it from the SPC or ROM? Also are you getting a .brr file or a .wav file? Ideally it should be a BRR file. As a last resort you can loop them yourself but it all depends on HOW you rip it.

Well, I have ripped the samples from the SPC with SPC Decoder, and they all have been coming off as .wav files. Should I convert them to BRR and then back to WAV? Or would that still not work? XD

Brozilla

There wouldn't be much point in converting it to a BRR if it comes out as a .wav file. If the .wav is divisible by 16 then you could find a loop point without much effort, if not then we've got problems.

In any case I think you should maybe work on "fundamentals." Rather than remix/re-outfitting for SNES I'd recommend that you try improving on the OST, that is exceeding the capabilities of the original hardware. Soundfonts are a good start until then.  No it's not telling you to quit, however the experiences you learn will be valuable when you return to do an MMX cover. You're getting better (since your first) however the path you've taken isn't the most optimal in my opinion.

Not sure how to explain it (might not make sense) but it's like you have a 3D model and you're trying to recreate that model with Legos without knowing how Legos work. Look up some OpenMPT Tutorials or actually fiddle with FL Studio (probably easier.) Even if temporarily, forget about the SNES and just worry about the music. Once you have how it "sounds" then you can change the flavor. Without knowing how the Super Nintendo works it's difficult to get something [objectively] good out of it, without good music fundamentals it only makes that task even more insurmountable.
44.1 vs. 48khz sampling rate

Theultimate12

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on June 29, 2016, 22:46:38
There wouldn't be much point in converting it to a BRR if it comes out as a .wav file. If the .wav is divisible by 16 then you could find a loop point without much effort, if not then we've got problems.

In any case I think you should maybe work on "fundamentals." Rather than remix/re-outfitting for SNES I'd recommend that you try improving on the OST, that is exceeding the capabilities of the original hardware. Soundfonts are a good start until then.  No it's not telling you to quit, however the experiences you learn will be valuable when you return to do an MMX cover. You're getting better (since your first) however the path you've taken isn't the most optimal in my opinion.

Not sure how to explain it (might not make sense) but it's like you have a 3D model and you're trying to recreate that model with Legos without knowing how Legos work. Look up some OpenMPT Tutorials or actually fiddle with FL Studio (probably easier.) Even if temporarily, forget about the SNES and just worry about the music. Once you have how it "sounds" then you can change the flavor. Without knowing how the Super Nintendo works it's difficult to get something [objectively] good out of it, without good music fundamentals it only makes that task even more insurmountable.

Hmm, all right. Yeah, I might do that, actually, though I`ll at least see how far can I go with making songs like this. If it doesnt work, then I`ll just use FL Studio and start working with soundfonts.

EDIT: Also, i have found what was wrong. It was basically because I havent made them loop, so that`s why that didnt work. Sorry! XD

Theultimate12

Well, I want to know something: is there anyway to shorten a MIDI file`s size or length? The MIDI files I have arent working with SNESGSS, so I imagine that its because of the size or the length of the MIDI being too much for the program to handle.

Saga Musix

Once again, OpenMPT is not a MIDI editor. If you need to do any kind of editing of MIDI files, grab a real MIDI editor.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Brozilla

Quote from: Theultimate12 on July 04, 2016, 15:10:45
Well, I want to know something: is there anyway to shorten a MIDI file`s size or length? The MIDI files I have arent working with SNESGSS, so I imagine that its because of the size or the length of the MIDI being too much for the program to handle.
Quote from: Saga Musix on July 04, 2016, 15:57:25
Once again, OpenMPT is not a MIDI editor. If you need to do any kind of editing of MIDI files, grab a real MIDI editor.
Pretty much this. Anvil Studio is a good free midi editor/creation device. FL Studio is a powerful MIDI tool as well. OpenMPT, while it supports MIDI, it is somewhat rudimentary in its functions. In theory you could import it (the midi) edit it as a tracker file and export it as a MIDI but you're not guaranteed the same results as when you first started.

Theultimate12

That`s what I said, actually. Sorry for not specifying that earlier. XD

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 04, 2016, 16:09:53
Quote from: Theultimate12 on July 04, 2016, 15:10:45
Pretty much this. Anvil Studio is a good free midi editor/creation device. FL Studio is a powerful MIDI tool as well. OpenMPT, while it supports MIDI, it is somewhat rudimentary in its functions. In theory you could import it (the midi) edit it as a tracker file and export it as a MIDI but you're not guaranteed the same results as when you first started.

Well, I am going to use Anvil Studio (I cant use it now since I am not at home rn), so if I get any errors, then I`ll tell you guys.

Theultimate12

EDIT: Well, actually, I am trying to find tutorials on how to shortenthe size of MIDI files with Anvil Studio, but all I am getting is tutorials on how to cut its length. How can I cut a MIDI file`s overall size with Anvil Studio without affecting the length? That`s what I want to know. XD

LPChip

MIDI is not like a wave file that can be compressed.

MIDI is like a script language. In order to make the file smaller, you simply have to cut out data. Sometimes a midi can have a very long sustained note at the end, and you may want to move the end point of that sustained note, which would shorten the midi, but not remove notes etc. But if you actually want to lower the filesize, then you will have to remove note information.

If you don't understand what I mean, open OpenMPT, load a song, Go to any pattern with notes in them, select all, copy, and paste that in a notepad. What you're seeing is a rough idea of what a MIDI is all about.

MIDI is nothing more than a macro recording of note on and off messages and parameter changes.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Brozilla

Without compression (which would invalidate the format anyways) or removing superfluous channels/instruments/blablabla this is next to impossible. There are various MIDI formats and it is possible to save it as a different one. AFAIK what you speak of is not exactly possible by "normal" mean. If you believe the MIDI is too large then you will probably need to remove stuff, might want to read about the MIDI format to make it as "effortless" as possible. If you're trying to run the MIDI through SNESGSS then it's unlikely that the file is too large but rather the formatting is not accepted, that isn't to say I actually know what you mean by it's "not working."

Theultimate12

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 04, 2016, 23:25:53
Without compression (which would invalidate the format anyways) or removing superfluous channels/instruments/blablabla this is next to impossible. There are various MIDI formats and it is possible to save it as a different one. AFAIK what you speak of is not exactly possible by "normal" mean. If you believe the MIDI is too large then you will probably need to remove stuff, might want to read about the MIDI format to make it as "effortless" as possible. If you're trying to run the MIDI through SNESGSS then it's unlikely that the file is too large but rather the formatting is not accepted, that isn't to say I actually know what you mean by it's "not working."

Hmm, all right, so I cant actually make the MIDI file small without cutting the length of the MIDI or removing superfluous instruments. Got it. Though I still cant really find any concrete tutorials on how to trim a MIDI file with Anvil Studio or to cut its size overall. Sorry for my stupidity here, btw. XD

Brozilla

The problem is you say they (the MIDI's) "aren't working" and that in itself is pretty vague. Is the MIDI not loading? Does the sequence data not come out right? Tech/Tech-like forums often require specific examples as generalizations only lead to generalized answers. Like I mentioned it's ENTIRELY possible it's not a problem with the midi file size, at least directly.

The thing is it's not that the questions are stupid but there are steps that can be taken to reduce the amount of trouble you encounter with it. That is I believe you do not quite understand the SNES or more appropriately how the hardware works. Therefor when you use tools, such as SNESGSS, and run into problems it's usually unclear when in fact there is an easy solution. Here is an example, we've stated and if you run emulators or run your SPC on certain SPC Players it is evident the hardware supports 8-discrete channels to play a voice. Since you can normally only have 8-voices in flight and your MIDI file is "too big." You could then imply the polyphony of the MIDI exceeds the waveform limit of the SNES hardware. It's not uncommon for people to put in duplicate MIDI channels as an echo effect, but it can be redundant in cases because the SNES hardware is capable of performing echo, only need 8kb for excellent "reverberation."

To go along with what's being said above it should be noted MIDI isn't very accurate to hardware. If you ask me MML is more MIDI than MOD but tracker formats from a high level sense exposes the hardware much better than MIDI which is why I more or less recommend OpenMPT or just any tracker in general. While SNESGSS resembles a tracker in some ways it in itself is not meant to be a tracker or really a music authoring device which was even mentioned by the developer himself. The effects for the effect column is unconventional, and it by default (if I read correctly) disables stereo output because most TV sets (not in this day and age!) only had mono sound. Lastly, while I have the program, the official link is broken so aside from those who already have the software it's going to be very difficult to find the help you need. Excuse my wall of text.

TLDR: SNESGSS MIDI import
Quote from:  readme.txtThe MIDI import supports both format 0 and 1. It expects that notes are
placed in channels 1-8 (or 1-6 plus drum channel), and there is no more
than 1 note in a channel at a time. It imports notes only, with
instrument assigned by the channel number. If the drum channel is
present, it gets imported into SNES channels 7-8, channel 7 is used for
hats, and channel 8 for kick, snare, and toms. Instrument numbers
assigned to different drums are 10 for kick, 11 for snare, 12 for toms,
On YouTube I recommend you look up and send a message to "Harumi Makoto." I've actually learned a number of things from them regarding the SNES. They might be able to provide you with some information.

We've pretty much regurgitated everything relevant SNES for you and by the end of page 1 there has actually been no new information. In some shape or form all your issues thus far has largely been a result of failure to comply with the SNES hardware specifications.

Theultimate12

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 05, 2016, 04:45:25
The problem is you say they (the MIDI's) "aren't working" and that in itself is pretty vague. Is the MIDI not loading? Does the sequence data not come out right? Tech/Tech-like forums often require specific examples as generalizations only lead to generalized answers. Like I mentioned it's ENTIRELY possible it's not a problem with the midi file size, at least directly.

The thing is it's not that the questions are stupid but there are steps that can be taken to reduce the amount of trouble you encounter with it. That is I believe you do not quite understand the SNES or more appropriately how the hardware works. Therefor when you use tools, such as SNESGSS, and run into problems it's usually unclear when in fact there is an easy solution. Here is an example, we've stated and if you run emulators or run your SPC on certain SPC Players it is evident the hardware supports 8-discrete channels to play a voice. Since you can normally only have 8-voices in flight and your MIDI file is "too big." You could then imply the polyphony of the MIDI exceeds the waveform limit of the SNES hardware. It's not uncommon for people to put in duplicate MIDI channels as an echo effect, but it can be redundant in cases because the SNES hardware is capable of performing echo, only need 8kb for excellent "reverberation."

To go along with what's being said above it should be noted MIDI isn't very accurate to hardware. If you ask me MML is more MIDI than MOD but tracker formats from a high level sense exposes the hardware much better than MIDI which is why I more or less recommend OpenMPT or just any tracker in general. While SNESGSS resembles a tracker in some ways it in itself is not meant to be a tracker or really a music authoring device which was even mentioned by the developer himself. The effects for the effect column is unconventional, and it by default (if I read correctly) disables stereo output because most TV sets (not in this day and age!) only had mono sound. Lastly, while I have the program, the official link is broken so aside from those who already have the software it's going to be very difficult to find the help you need. Excuse my wall of text.

TLDR: SNESGSS MIDI import
Quote from:  readme.txtThe MIDI import supports both format 0 and 1. It expects that notes are
placed in channels 1-8 (or 1-6 plus drum channel), and there is no more
than 1 note in a channel at a time. It imports notes only, with
instrument assigned by the channel number. If the drum channel is
present, it gets imported into SNES channels 7-8, channel 7 is used for
hats, and channel 8 for kick, snare, and toms. Instrument numbers
assigned to different drums are 10 for kick, 11 for snare, 12 for toms,
On YouTube I recommend you look up and send a message to "Harumi Makoto." I've actually learned a number of things from them regarding the SNES. They might be able to provide you with some information.

We've pretty much regurgitated everything relevant SNES for you and by the end of page 1 there has actually been no new information. In some shape or form all your issues thus far has largely been a result of failure to comply with the SNES hardware specifications.

*sigh* Sorry, blame my complete lack of knowledge on this regard. Anyway, yes, the MIDI is not actually loading in SNESGSS, and even when I did this on OpenMPT, after I reduced the number of channels to 8, there were a lot of instruments missing. And after I seen this comment, I am thinking that its probably because of the instruments exceeding the 8-channel limit (though I still dunno how can I look if the instruments are stereo or not on Anvil Studio). I`ll send the MIDI files now, if you guys want to look. Again, really sorry for the lack of information I have been giving.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px5we5w42v7ugzj/MIDI%20Files.rar?dl=0

Brozilla

Quote from: Theultimate12 on July 05, 2016, 13:57:57
*sigh* Sorry, blame my complete lack of knowledge on this regard. Anyway, yes, the MIDI is not actually loading in SNESGSS, and even when I did this on OpenMPT, after I reduced the number of channels to 8, there were a lot of instruments missing. And after I seen this comment, I am thinking that its probably because of the instruments exceeding the 8-channel limit (though I still dunno how can I look if the instruments are stereo or not on Anvil Studio). I`ll send the MIDI files now, if you guys want to look. Again, really sorry for the lack of information I have been giving.

The link for dropbox is timing out for me so I'm unable to take a look at this moment. To say the least the comment sounds meaner than it should so please don't take me too seriously xD
Right now my best advice is for you to read my quote regarding the SNESGSS MIDI import. If the MIDI you're using does not adhere to the author's notes then you're file is by no means guaranteed to work.

Also in OpenMPT you do not simply reduce the channels to 8 or you WILL have missing notes and such. You have to manually reorganize the data to fit into the first 8 channels, or as much of it as possible, and then you shorten it. This unsurprisingly can require a bit of effort but it almost always yields good results. SNESGSS only allows 8-channels but with OpenMPT you have a large enough amount to see the entire MIDI File. As a result you can (more work required) turn certain chords into a multipolyphony sample and simulate a larger amount of voices than the hardware's design.

Theultimate12

Quote from: Enumeratingw7 on July 05, 2016, 23:33:09
Quote from: Theultimate12 on July 05, 2016, 13:57:57

The link for dropbox is timing out for me so I'm unable to take a look at this moment. To say the least the comment sounds meaner than it should so please don't take me too seriously xD
Right now my best advice is for you to read my quote regarding the SNESGSS MIDI import. If the MIDI you're using does not adhere to the author's notes then you're file is by no means guaranteed to work.

Also in OpenMPT you do not simply reduce the channels to 8 or you WILL have missing notes and such. You have to manually reorganize the data to fit into the first 8 channels, or as much of it as possible, and then you shorten it. This unsurprisingly can require a bit of effort but it almost always yields good results. SNESGSS only allows 8-channels but with OpenMPT you have a large enough amount to see the entire MIDI File. As a result you can (more work required) turn certain chords into a multipolyphony sample and simulate a larger amount of voices than the hardware's design.

All right. Try this link, then. Sorry, I actually put it as a .ftp link, so the link didnt register. XD

And nah, dont worry about it. XD