Amiga 1200 playback goes wrong

Started by cerror, January 09, 2016, 18:57:41

Previous topic - Next topic

cerror

HALP!

I have this really weird problem with openMPT / amiga.

I am tracking this mod in openMPT (because easier) and when I play it in any tracker/player on my amiga 1200 it sounds like the samples swap.

Edit:
This is how it sounds.
First part is openMPT, second one is Hippoplayer on amiga 1200.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wygczm6e87v8bt/miami%20fuckup_mixdown.mp3?dl=0

I am using the latest openMPT, with all sample frequencies on 8363hz and the limits and 1/2 mode on. (tried without and with)

Eagleplayer/Hippoplayer/Any protracker, all of them play them wrong.
Anybody any idea what's going on?
Bleep bleepbleep beeeeep.

Saga Musix

I can't say anything about that without looking at the actual module.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

cerror

Here it is.  :)
See attachment

Saga Musix

Most Amiga players will only support notes C-4 to A#6. Your first note on channel 3 exceeds that range. That's also why it's highlit in red. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

cerror

Still doesn't explain the second part.

Saga Musix

Did you fix the first part and check if plays correctly, though? It could be that the first pattern somehow breaks the replay engine in a way that affects its future output. I only tested it with an A500 config in WinUAE where it works without problems apparently (using ProTracker 2.3d).

cerror

Good one, i'll try that tomorrow!

cerror

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cerror

Saga Musix

Really strange. I asked eightbitbubsy for help as he knows quite a bit more about Amiga play routines than I do, but we both couldn't come to a conclusion.
So here are a few more things to try to hopefully get some ideas:
1) Remove all unused samples through OpenMPT's Cleanup dialog. It could be an out-of-memory issue but we doubt that since even a stock A1200 should have plenty of memory to load a 170K module.
2) If that still doesn't work, empty the channels one by one and see if it helps. I think channel 2 is the one that sounds weird, so try first removing channels 3 and 4.
Last but not least, it could be a hardware issue of course. bubsy couldn't reproduce it in ProTracker A1200 config either, so this is really puzzling.

8bitbubsy

Can you play any other .MOD on that Amiga without weird symptoms..? Almost sounds as if you're out of memory or have bad memory. Is your Amiga heavily expanded?

Might want to try boot your A1200 with both mouse button held down during boot, and then disable "CPU caches" and then boot without startup-sequence and run PT from there.
EDIT: Also make sure "DMAWait" is set to something very high in the Setup #2 screen. Should be 900 for an unexpanded A1200, 2000+ for a 68030, 9999 for a 68040/68060. Holdt both left and right mouse button on the UP arrow to increase the value much faster.

Not sure if DMAWait is a problem for the PT replayers used in Hippo/Eagle/Deli though...

cerror

I will try that tonight! Thanks for the help.
The amiga does have a aca1221 that gives some trouble now and then because I am still using KS 3.0.
Expecting 3.1 next week so should work out.

8bitbubsy

Also try without the accelerator...

cerror

Same problem. When I look at the samples in Protracker 2.3d on the amiga it looks like samples are merged.
So each sample has a part of another sample before it. So incredibly weird.