Meanwhile on Ubuntu

Started by mp64, December 10, 2015, 14:19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

mp64

I had Ubuntu 15.10 installed on my PC with Wine at some point, so I decided "Ah, why not install MPT for the hell of it?!" So I did, and it ran fine. There was one thing I noticed though - on my Windows PC, I had an entire list of built-in MIDI instruments, but on Ubuntu, the list was gone. Can I have help fixing this?

P.S PC specs are, and I'm not sure if this helps, | Windows PC - 10 Pro x64, 4 GB RAM | Ubuntu PC - 15.10 x86, 1 GB RAM
I don't know what I'm doing, but somehow I'm good at it. ~mp64

Saga Musix

Yes, by installing any MIDI sound bank you like. Windows comes with its own (GM.DLS), Linux does not. These sounds are not built into OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mp64

Ah! Do you recommend any MIDI banks?
I don't know what I'm doing, but somehow I'm good at it. ~mp64

Saga Musix

Well, there are some really great ones but most of them are not really suitable for OpenMPT's built-in soundfont capabilities as it is unable to make use of multilayered instruments. This is especially problematic with SF2 samples, where multilayering is the only way of creating stereo samples. DLS soundfonts, on the other hand, have "native" support for stereo samples, which OpenMPT can handle just fine. So if you need a soundfont to work with in OpenMPT directly, you'd better search for DLS soundfonts (of which I don't have any, so I cannot give recommendations). Alternatively, you can look for a collection of Gravis patches. I think Timidity or Fluidsynth might come with a set of Gravis patches? Anyway, in the case of Gravis patches you can simply use the ULTRASND.INI (or similarly named INI file) that comes with the samples to replace the entire MIDI library at once.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.