Where are the best places to look for video game musician?

Started by RyanBram, October 30, 2015, 04:16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanBram

Hi, Community.

Can someone here inform me where are the best places to look for freelance video game musician that know about tracker format?
I have tried to look in another forums, but it seems most of them only know about WAV or MP3 and don't have any idea abot tracker music format.

Saga Musix

One platform you could try is http://indiegamemusic.com/ although I am relatively sure the majority of people there who claim they can deliver modules have just checked all checkeboxes for the sake of it and not because they have tracked in the past.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ida

I have been wanting to create music for a video game for some time now. I tried it before but the guys i was composing for were some 10 year olds unexperienced with creating video games in general and they ditched me for no apparent reason.

So what exactly are you looking for? A musician to compose music for a game? Or someone to just talk about trackers with?

LPChip

I haven't replied here before for a reason but I think I should give a reply anyway.

I am a videogame composer. I've composed for several games, mostly by indie game developer Nifflas.

The reason I haven't replied is because I am currently on a project and simply don't have enough time. It really depends on what you're looking for, but if you're looking for actual music and you need it soon enough, I can't help you.

Also it does help if you can tell us if you're willing to pay for the music. I'm no longer in the position that I need my name out there so I will do it for free, but in return, I will deliver quality music.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

RyanBram

Quote from: Saga Musix on October 30, 2015, 08:22:49
One platform you could try is http://indiegamemusic.com/ although I am relatively sure the majority of people there who claim they can deliver modules have just checked all checkeboxes for the sake of it and not because they have tracked in the past.
Quote from: WouterVL on October 30, 2015, 12:50:43
So what exactly are you looking for? A musician to compose music for a game? Or someone to just talk about trackers with?
Quote from: LPChip on October 30, 2015, 21:10:31
Also it does help if you can tell us if you're willing to pay for the music. I'm no longer in the position that I need my name out there so I will do it for free, but in return, I will deliver quality music.

Hi, everyone.
Thank you for your reply.
I am an indie developer. I develop game mainly just for sharing my story for the people around me. But now, I'll try to take my hobby more serious and hopefully can get more audience to hear my story. I want to get more friend worldwide.

Actually, most of my musical needs is already provided in my game engine. The quality is great, but as the musics is not exclusive then too many people will using it. I need something special, something that will distinguish my game from the other and make it unique. I prefer tracker music because it is small in size. It is very hard too find a capable tracker musician. I found great musician, but unfortunately he doesn't understand how to compose using tracker.

For information, I will tell you the following condition:

• I am a single developer, so I cannot buy many music at once. I have plan to save my money to get music at least once a month until I get enough music in my catalog
  • I am not in rush, so I can wait for month for music production until the music complete, and hopefully can get the best quality as possible
  • I live in Asia, so it may be huge time difference in your country. So, expect a little hiccup in communication.
  • My game has genre J-Role Playing Game, so what I need is music that can drive emotion of the story.
  • The first and my popular thing that I want to get is Battle theme music. The music usually has fast tempo and orchestral instrument
  • I want to pay for my music, but I need to know how much I need to pay for one tracker music. Please tell me your price and if you don't mind also link to show me sample of your music.

That's about my condition. I am looking forward to get music from one of you. Please PM me of you find it interesting, and I'll get you as soon as possible. Also you can see the attachment to find out what kind of music that I prefer.

Regards,
Ryan Bram

LPChip

If you want orchestral music and low filesize, you won't be getting high quality music. Good orchestral music will have huge samples. For example I have a good strings sound, but its 2 mb for just that sound. You may need to make some consenses here.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

High quality orchestral music in just a few MB can definitely be done when resorting to MO3, especially when storing all songs in the same module file.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RyanBram

Quote from: LPChip on October 31, 2015, 23:02:05
If you want orchestral music and low filesize, you won't be getting high quality music. Good orchestral music will have huge samples. For example I have a good strings sound, but its 2 mb for just that sound. You may need to make some consenses here.
Quote from: Saga Musix on October 31, 2015, 23:09:12
High quality orchestral music in just a few MB can definitely be done when resorting to MO3, especially when storing all songs in the same module file.

Hi.
I hope I can get the musics below 1 MB in Impulse Tracker format, and don't need to compress it into MO3 (please see the Attachment below).

Maybe it is just me who cannot explain it better. Then for better understanding, let me share you 64 songs that I got from my game engine (which is safe to redistribute for personal purpose) to give better explanation about what musical style that I prefer. Those 64 songs is converted into IT format using BeRo Tracker. As BeRo tracker doesn't support .sf2 soundfont format, I just feel the qualities aren't very good. But at least I hope it can give basic understanding about the musics that I need. I also share the original Standard MIDI Files in case you need it (so the total is 128 files). I usually prefer to play those MIDI file using Musica Theoria soundfont which for me is the best soundfont that I can get from the Net. It is also the soundfont that I use to convert MIDI into OGG in my attachment at previous post. Maybe you can just use that soundfont as sample for composing the music that I need.

Best regards,
RyanBram

Attachment size 14.2 MB

Saga Musix

Uhm, BeRoTracker very much supports SF2 soundfonts, much better than OpenMPT actually - and it's MID import is better, too. It may default to GM.DLS for MID file import but you can always replace the instruments afterwards of course. Of course this means it's a manual job, but "converting MIDI files to modules" is not what a trackers are about. Maybe using a MIDI player with soundfont support might be another option for you if you cannot find anyone who wants to make modules for you.

RyanBram

Quote from: Saga Musix on November 01, 2015, 12:03:29
Uhm, BeRoTracker very much supports SF2 soundfonts, much better than OpenMPT actually - and it's MID import is better, too. It may default to GM.DLS for MID file import but you can always replace the instruments afterwards of course. Of course this means it's a manual job, but "converting MIDI files to modules" is not what a trackers are about. Maybe using a MIDI player with soundfont support might be another option for you if you cannot find anyone who wants to make modules for you.
I used BeRo just for a proof of concept that it is possible to create orchestral theme tracker music with relatively low filesize (below 1 MB).

My goal is not just for converting MIDI files to tracker format, but also to find someone who want to compose tracker music for my game which seems very hard to find. Because I am under impression that most of tracker musician tend to produce action theme music in technos instead of fantasy theme in orchestra based on music that I ever hear.
I found your name in the website you mentioned which seems you are available for work, isn't it. Please let me know where is the best place in the net to discuss this matter with you.

Regards,
Ryan

Saga Musix

QuoteI used BeRo just for a proof of concept that it is possible to create orchestral theme tracker music with relatively low filesize (below 1 MB).
Nobody doubts that you can create orchestral music with a tracker in under 1 MB, but the default GM sample set on Windows is just so unrealistic that you can hardly call it "orchestral music".
And no, my profile on IGM clearly says that I am not available for contract work, even less so if it involves orchestral music because that is a style I am not familiar with at all. Orchestral, sample-based tracker musicians are indeed rather rare, especially since creating a feeling of realism requires a lot of tiresome work which is just so much easier to do if you can use the right VSTis.

RyanBram

Thanks, Saga, LPChip, and WouterVL for kindly answering my question.
I just want to give information that I already got musician that fit my criteria after searching around internet. The musician is Patrick de Artega. He is a very talented musician just like all of you, but unfortunately he doesn't really good in tracker. He gave me sample of converted MIDI to IT, but with sample and arrangement already modified. So far the sample show many improvement, which shows  that he really does his best to learn tracker. Glad to see that someone want to learn tracker, although I myself never be able to become talented musician.

Once more, many thanks for this nice discussion.

Best regards,
RyanBram