Trackers/sequencers for Apple

Started by KRSplat, March 16, 2015, 20:30:30

Previous topic - Next topic

KRSplat

I'm sure this topic has been done before, but...

Are there any good programs that can edit IT, XM, S3M, MOD, etc. ? Or any similar filetype.

I mean, I see that Renoise is for OS X as well. I'm about to see if I can open it.

But Renoise doesn't have the versatility for the above formats like OpenMPT does. I use other trackers too, like I'm new to FamiTracker and Milky Tracker - but I'm wondering if there's any true alternative to OpenMPT for Apple computers.

Thanks!

LPChip

OpenMPT can run using wine, and wine can run on OS X, although I do not have sufficient knowledge of Wine to help.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Well, Milky for XM, Schism for IT... but I'm not aware of any multi-format tracker with OpenMPT's capabilities. I know some people successfully use OpenMPT on OSX, though, so it can't be that hard. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

When I was using my Mac, before I got a Windows 98 emulator that I could use ModPlug Tracker back in 2005, I was using a program called MadTracker for classic Mac (OS 8.6!). It was okay & could open .it files. However, I got into MPT so I could compose for Unreal Tournament (UT99), which could take an S3M or IT file and convert to UMX for in-game music. MPT could be (and can still be) used under Windows 98, which I emulated on my Mac with VirtualPC, and it was fine for the most basic use of MPT (when I started adding plugins , I ran into problems with CPU).

Saga Musix

Well, you don't need the route of going through emulation on a modern Intel-based Mac (let alone using Windows 98). Wine should actually work much better than an Emulator, and it integrates tighter with the rest of the system.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KRSplat

Thanks bots and people for the kind and helpful responses.