First steps in Tracking?

Started by Morgenblume, April 28, 2006, 21:25:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Morgenblume

I have succesfully loaded my first sample and got it to play at the right speed,

I would like to get another sample to play at the same time, so that I can
build a song. I have been unable to work out how to do this.

I would be grateful for a hint.

Morgenblume

Matt Hartman

1.)Under the sample screen, do this:

2.)Import another sample by doing this:

3.) Under the Pattern screen go to the sample selection drop down box and select your second sample:

4.) Place your second sample in a different track from which you placed the first one:

Release the magic:

This is the most basic way to input samples and play them together simultaneously.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the wonderful world of tracking. You are amoungst your fellow addicts. :)
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Morgenblume

That is so much more than I expected :-) Many thanks! Working on it.

Morgenblume

Morgenblume

Got it!

I'll no doubt be back   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

(The problem was that I was not adding a note ) I was not adding a "note"

Morgenblume

DavidN

You absolute show-off. :P

Just joking, it's a great tutorial.

Sam_Zen

2 Matt Hartman
Nice explanation. One of the tougher things for starters.

Morgenblume

Yes, thank you,  I am a showoff,   :oops:  but I am also unbelievably excited by the existence this software  :)

I am now spending a long time putting individual drumbeats into the right place on the pattern rows. I can't make it copy and paste. Can someone tell me if its possible to copy and paste? (The song I'm making just needs a simple bassdrum on the first beat for now)

Morgenblume

LPChip

Quote from: "Morgenblume"Yes, thank you,  I am a showoff,   :oops:  but I am also unbelievably excited by the existence this software  :)

I am now spending a long time putting individual drumbeats into the right place on the pattern rows. I can't make it copy and paste. Can someone tell me if its possible to copy and paste? (The song I'm making just needs a simple bassdrum on the first beat for now)

Morgenblume

Make a selection, right click, copy, move to a new place, right click, paste :P

You don't need to make a new selection (not even sure if that works :P)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

DavidN

Not you, I meant Matt for his amazingly detailed instructions.

Morgenblume

Thanks, but it doesn't like that.

I tried copy paste, then copy drag, and paste the little square appears as if to allow paste or move, but it doesn't follow through. No worry, its not that much hassle to put it in seperately.

I should have this finished tonight and I'll post a link when I do.  8)

Morgenblume

(>o_o)>

Glad to see I am not the only new one around here :)

Here, this may be of some help http://openmpt.xwiki.com/

I know tracking is tough for beginners. Of course most of the people on here seem pretty willing to help you out with questions and stuff, also try the IRC chat room when you get a chance.
Welcome to the internet. The internet is a game. The object is to piss off as many people as possible. Only those who kiss ass and become moderators win. Enjoy your stay.

Morgenblume

Hello!

and thanks for the link. I am amazed, delighted  and very much helped by the help I'm getting. Thanks don't begin to cover it.

Morgenblume

Morgenblume

Well, I see I am nowhere near finished. Thanks for all the help so far.
I now have 2 guitar tracks, a few drums, vocal tracks and a recorder track that sound quite nice. I would have uploaded them but I have a problem saving to either a wav or an mp3.

I've read what I could find and I see that there is a thing called a plug in. I haven't got any of those. Can I not just save it as it is? (t doesn't let me of course)

If there is a fast way I'd be grateful if someone could let me know.

Goodnight all

Morgenblume

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Morgenblume"Well, I see I am nowhere near finished. Thanks for all the help so far.
I now have 2 guitar tracks, a few drums, vocal tracks and a recorder track that sound quite nice. I would have uploaded them but I have a problem saving to either a wav or an mp3.

I've read what I could find and I see that there is a thing called a plug in. I haven't got any of those. Can I not just save it as it is? (t doesn't let me of course)

If there is a fast way I'd be grateful if someone could let me know.

Goodnight all

Morgenblume

Uh oh, here come a lot of opinions on MP3 export in MPT.....

Anyway, everyone will agree that you should export the song as a wav, then use another program of your choice to convert it to MP3. I can't recommend one, because I use a program that is only available when you buy my soundcard, since it came with it. But it shouldn't be too hard to find one
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

If you just save as, you can save it as original module (.it, .xm. s3m, .mod, depending on your songsetting, where .it is recommended for new people) , which is usually alot smaller (but I can be wrong ofcource).

If you used samples that are prerecorded parts, then things can get quite big, but thats not really what a tracker is designed for (not that you can't use it that way though :P)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs