Visual Idea for New MP Central

Started by Matt Hartman, April 28, 2006, 20:14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Hartman

Here's an idea for the new site.

You can imagine that all the content is dynamic.
There's no Flash, just straight HTML, PHP,etc.

We can have all the different pages load into one table. Anchors will get you to the info you want fast.

I'm not strong on the technical side of website design, so if I'm suggesting something that's not possible, please forgive my ignorance.

Anyway, just throwing an idea at ya.

If anyone else has any ideas that they can show visually, then let's see them!

The more ideas we get brewing, the better the site will be. Visually speaking.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

LPChip

I personally don't like the image that much. I'd rather do it straight and simple.

But skinning is something that will be of a later concern. first the engine and then when its done, a good skin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Matt Hartman

Chip,

What's the current status? From the front, it seems as if progress is slow to non existent?

What are the issues that are slowing progress, maybe I can help in some way.

LPChip

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"Chip,

What's the current status? From the front, it seems as if progress is slow to non existent?

What are the issues that are slowing progress, maybe I can help in some way.

I have 2 main problems.

1. Very little time (yeah sucks i know)
2. I was doing the system using a structural way, but it got me in many unwanted situations. I've made a change to OOP style programming, but that requires a bit more of planning on how to make the classes work with eachother etc. Im still designing that before i can put everything in one. Converting the existing code wouldn't be that much of a hastle though...

How well can you program in php?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

wiggy!

I love it. It's elegant, the colors are just right, and the layout orgasmic. Even the pic is s-weet + Chip hates it so thats an added benefit. Captain Giddyup is a nice touch.

Why is this not what MPC looks like today?
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Eat... Its good for you.

DavidN

It looks sleek, but I can't help but feel it looks like one of the flashier versions of Linux rather than a website itself.

speed-goddamn-focus

I like this! And I still think modifying an existing system would be a better option in every way.

LPChip, it would also be nice if at least the appearance of the new system was discussed (i guess that's what this thread is for) before it's implemented.

LPChip

Before I'm finishing the system that can handle the skins, its pointless, cus it might probably have limitations which I can't bypass, and besides, its better to design after a system, than to tweak a system to work with a skin (which will take too much time, and thereby is out of the question)

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"Before I'm finishing the system that can handle the skins, its pointless, cus it might probably have limitations which I can't bypass, and besides, its better to design after a system, than to tweak a system to work with a skin (which will take too much time, and thereby is out of the question)
When I wrote "appearance" I was vague, I mean the entire user interface and not just the "skin".

I disagree with your reasoning, to me it seems it would be better practice to design the system from reverse, i.e. what features you want and need and then start working on the "engine".  You already had to restart once because of bad planning. Then again, you're the boss I guess.

Matt Hartman

This design may look "flash" based because I had a more visually appealing (in my opinion) idea in mind rather than the typical, here's the content in a uninteresting way. It may serve the purposes of a programmer, but not everyone is a programmer or interested in being one.

I understand a lot of tech types don't like bells and whistles much because of the importance on visuals rather than content.

But who says it has to be this way? I think there's a good balance and I beleive that's what makes a great site.

If you look at this particular site past the visuals, you can see how it could work as far as centralizing the content in a dynamic way.

speed-goddamn-focus

I don't mind if a site looks good, as long as it's functional and doesn't have pink-shaded letters.

Squirrel Havoc

Wow, everyone has differing views on what's good and stuff. Me, I don't care one bit about visual appeal in the end, I've frequently gone to sites over and over again with nothing but the default font, black text, and white BG, and that's it, not even a table. Why? I liked what they had to offer, not how they offered it. Visual appeal is nice, but compare it to a girlfriend. Attractive girlfriends are nice, but the same girlfriend looking more plain will still be as loving and caring as before. And in the end, isn't that what really matters?

I'm not saying make it ugly, just don't put more work into the look than you do the functionality.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

georg

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I don't mind if a site looks good, as long as it's functional and doesn't have pink-shaded letters.

Now i know how to redesign my site. thanx!  :twisted:
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((