OpenMPT export to midi pitch shift support?

Started by IsaacNorman, July 04, 2014, 23:40:37

Previous topic - Next topic

IsaacNorman

Hello everyone. I would like to say that OpenMPT is a very great program at almost everything I have used it for in the past 5 years. There is not one thing I don't like about it. However, there is something that (probably) sticks out to me. When I make an XM in the program, with pitch shifting effects/commands, when I export to a midi file, I notice that the pitch shift information is ignored.

While most of the XMs I create in OpenMPT do not rely on pitch shifting information, this is not a major issue to me. Those that do, sadly, I export as a midi, and try to give it the proper pitch shifting it deserves in Fl Studio.

My question I have is this: Is there a way to export an XM/MOD file to a midi file, retaining the pitch shifting effects? (Meaning, if I play back the midi file, the notes associated with the pitch shifting would pitch shift in the midi file itself.)

If not, then is this something that would be implemented in the future, or is this something that is impossible to do? (Coding restrictions/too complex coding required to do it.)

If this is a question that has already been asked, please let me know, 'cause I already looked, and I didn't find anything like my question.
For the best quality, please select the uncompressed option, preferably with the FLAC codec.

- Isaac Norman

Saga Musix

First off - OpenMPT is not a MIDI editor. Do not use it as a main tool for for editing / creating MIDIs. It was never designed for this job and cannot possibly ever do this in a perfect way.
Second - apart from the fact that OpenMPT's MIDI export interprets exactly two pattern commands (set speed and pattern break), pitch slides in modules and pitch slides in the MIDI world are two particularly very different beasts and there is no meaningful MIDI representation for many things you can do with module portamento effects. To start with, there is no standardized way to set the pitch wheel depth (which would be required) that any synthesizer will understand. General MIDI has an RPN for this, but if you are going to load the file into FL Studio, I'm pretty sure the synths you are using there won't understand this RPN.
I'm pretty sure 2MIDI will try the conversion a lot harder than OpenMPT does, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

IsaacNorman

Thanks for your help and understanding what OpenMPT does when you "convert" the tracker module(s) to a midi file. No, I don't use OpenMPT to edit midis, I leave that for Fl Studio. I use OpenMPT (alongside with Milkytracker) to create the midis. I do have one question though, 2Midi is a great small program, but I'm curious if in the future, OpenMPT will be almost as functional as 2Midi is right now? Or would that require so much code/time that is not available right now? Other than the problem you just helped me with, it's still a very good program.
For the best quality, please select the uncompressed option, preferably with the FLAC codec.

- Isaac Norman

Saga Musix

Maybe, maybe not? It's least not a priority for myself, anyone else is welcome to try improving (or rather rewriting) MIDI support, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.