Good drum sound?

Started by fskies, June 19, 2014, 07:35:58

Previous topic - Next topic

fskies

I converted drums for Mod files. Sound very bad in the tracker. How to convert drums with good quality?

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

There's another topic specialized in optimizing MOD samples that might be of some help for you.
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1882

Beside the topic, you could know that MOD has an fixed frequency range (around 8kHz) for sample storing with an poor finetuning feature.
The samples that get converted by OpenMPT will sound truly muddy in almost all octaves (beside the note and octave B6).
Try converting drum samples that sound snappy, since they will rarely sound off when converted by sound editing programs.

I did the conversion myself with Audacity (to lower the frequency to 16kHz and lowering the samplerate to 8 bit).

Either way, i included the file exported with Audacity (IFF) and the file with the finishing touches that was made with OpenMPT.
Both can be opened with OpenMPT, but it will not recognize the IFF file, so to open it, either drag it in the sample editor or import it with 'all files' selected to find it.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

Either you stop working with Amiga MOD files right away, or you accept the fact that Amiga has a very limited frequency range going up to about 27 KHz playback frequency. When having to work with MOD, I usually downsample drums to 22 KHz (hit the downsample button once for your example file) and then play them at F-6 in the pattern. Middle-C (C-5) is always centered around 8 KHz in MOD, you cannot change that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

fskies

I'm very thankful to you!

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteEither you stop working with Amiga MOD files right away, or you accept the fact that Amiga has a very limited frequency range going up to about 27 KHz playback frequency.
Never. :P

QuoteI'm very thankful to you!
Who, me or Saga Musix?
Maybe both?
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

fskies