My VST is broken and I don't know what to do

Started by SeventhSentinel, June 01, 2014, 04:42:34

Previous topic - Next topic

SeventhSentinel

VOPM, the Sega Genesis chip emulation VST plugin,  spazzes out and breaks whenever I try to do much with it. I've tried reinstalling it, switching to older versions of it, restarting my computer, and using it in a version of OMPT that I knew it worked with, but to no avail. Can anyone help me?

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

May i ask how long you used it in the first place?

That plugin is truly buggy (no sound output and can crash OpenMPT easily) atleast in my experience.
Try YM2612 VST (http://wonthelp.info/2612/ym2612-vst-release-v-0-9/).
Less buggy (audio hangs sometimes), but works much better then VOMP (and its to free :) ).
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

SeventhSentinel

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on June 01, 2014, 17:22:13
May i ask how long you used it in the first place?

It was working for about a year. Thank you for your link, I'm going to check it out right now.

Saga Musix

I guess I can cross-reference the official answer from the issue tracker here: https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=539#c1691
Yes, both things happen because of the same reason.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

SeventhSentinel

The 32-bit version is working. Thank you. However, VOPM's settings seem to reset themselves whenever I stop or pause the music, and work again once I open the plugin. It's wreaking havok with exporting the music. Any suggestions?

Saga Musix

While I'd consider VOPM to be a fairly badly written plugin, these issues are completely new to me. Are these issues new for you?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

SeventhSentinel

Yes. They began happening after installing the latest 64-bit version of OMPT.

Saga Musix

And you are absolutely sure that you are not running a bridged version of the plugin? It will say so in the plugin editor in the title bar if you do. As far as I'm aware VOPM doesn't have any state retained outside of the plugin and OpenMPT also has no kind of magical plugin configuration that could suddenly break a plugin. VOPM still runs perfectly in OpenMPT here no matter whether I bridge it or not, although the bridged version is naturally slower, especially when restoring patch settings.

SeventhSentinel

I looked into that. When bridged, the plugin plain ignores whatever settings I have no matter what. Without the bridge, it stops ignoring the settings if I look at them.

Saga Musix

Alright, it looks like VOPM gets very confused if you use MIDI messages to change programs and at the same time use its UI to change programs (which is done through a different mechanism). The fact that VOPM behaved well in this scenario before is actually due to a bug where OpenMPT wouldn't resend the current MIDI program when restarting playback. The best solution in your situation is to not use the MIDI program property in the instrument editor at all, but rather dial up the wanted programs through the plugin editor exclusively, or at least set the MIDI program to be equal to the editor program. As said, VOPM is buggy.