What are some shortcuts that will actually save me a bunch of time.

Started by PutTheHurttOn, May 20, 2014, 01:02:39

Previous topic - Next topic

PutTheHurttOn

I've got one thing in mind, really, and that's the Play Row button. I'd like to know the keyboard shortcut for that.

And if you know of any other things to tell a downright newbie, that'd be awesome!

Diamond

PutTheHurttOn

Saga Musix

For future reference, there is a list of all shortcuts, so go through that one to pick the ones that seem useful to you. It's highly subjective which shortcuts are "useful" and which aren't, you will have to decide that for yourself.
Also, asking for shortcuts on the forum is not really a good idea since everyone might be using different shortcuts. Instead, use the Keyboard settings dialog and search for the shortcut that you want to know there. There is a search field in that dialog, so you could e.g. type "Play Row" into that field and it would show you the shortcut you were just asking about. Instant result, no need to wait a few hours until someone reads your post on the forum.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Diamond

Is it just my imagination or does that list only display the names of the shortcuts and not the default keyboard assignments themselves?

LPChip

Quote from: Diamond on May 20, 2014, 18:08:54
Is it just my imagination or does that list only display the names of the shortcuts and not the default keyboard assignments themselves?

As Saga Musix already explained, everyone can have the key assigned to a different key, but using the keyboard manager you can simply search for that name to find and configure the key.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

Quote from: LPChip on May 20, 2014, 21:32:26
As Saga Musix already explained, everyone can have the key assigned to a different key, but using the keyboard manager you can simply search for that name to find and configure the key.

Yes LPChip I am quite aware of this point, but there are default key assignments and I was surprised that they were not on that list since they might be useful to new users.  A new user may not necessarily immediately think to go look in the settings dialog.  A new user may want to become familiar with the default assignments first and the manual is where they will most likely turn for such information.

Saga Musix

The list does indeed not contain this kind of information; and it also didn't when we copied it over from Harbinger's OHM. However, everyone is invited to fill in this information. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Diamond

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 20, 2014, 22:24:26
However, everyone is invited to fill in this information. ;)

I would be willing to add the shortcuts to the manual.  My only concern would be the formatting.  If the formatting does not look correct, I would have no way of knowing.  If there are no special text formatting concerns, then feel free to Email me the log in information for the Wiki and I will make the changes.

Saga Musix

There's no specific format in that sense, table columns are separated by "||" in MediaWiki markup so you'd simply add that at the end of every row and add the shortcuts after that.
The default shortcuts can be found here.
Also, you don't need any specific login for the wiki, it's open to everyone (it's a wiki, after all). You don't even need to create an account but it makes things easier (guest edits are always more suspicious because they are more likely to be spam).

Diamond

Thanks, I created an account and started working on it today.

Saga Musix