64-bit Build

Started by Really Weird Person, April 03, 2014, 13:09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I tested the 64-bit build and it seems to be stable. The seek synchronization is a great implementation. With the possible exception of the ability to load the 11-hour-long waveforms that I couldn't before (thus far untested, as I recently had a hard drive failure and am still recovering from it) :(, I think that the sync-on-seek function is the best implementation thus far. With that, someone no longer needs to play through entire songs to determine their lengths. This is especially beneficial if I find that an 11-hour-long sample does load. I saw that no quantitative limits (such as those for patterns, orders, and rows) were changed, but this is the first 64-bit build (assumption), so that makes sense. If the 64-bit build turns out to be as hoped for, perhaps the limits will be increased for it (but not necessarily the 32-bit build). Although modifying the GUI and the effects (mainly the position jump) to accommodate for increased values might take a long time. Perhaps the 64-bit build has a higher memory allocation and, as such, would offer more patterns with or without "extension" (use of more than 64 rows per pattern). Using the extension is another thing that I intend on testing but have not yet tested. Also, I found that, even with the 64-bit build, some of my songs had missing samples upon opening. A great job has been done on the 64-bit build (especially considering that it is a first-time venture with ModPlug Tracker's code). Now that there is a native 64-bit build of ModPlug Tracker, we might start seeing 128-bit Windows builds. Ha-ha

Saga Musix

Shut up, just shut up with your demands for increased pattern quantities. The 64-bit build doesn't change a single fact about how increasing them would break the window message system and no, I am not going to go through that mess for you. We have asked you before to never address this again and apparently the resulting ban didn't help either. When will you learn that noone here wants to hear about this from you?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Why do you want so many patterns anyway, Really Wierd Person?
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Really Weird Person

The answer to FreezeFlame's question is this: Rather than making "original" compositions, I combine music that I download. Example: Daisy Bell and March of the Toys
The result: Both songs are heard simultaneously.
To accomplish this, the least common multiple of the pattern quantities is used. In the case of Daisy Bell and March of the Toys, that is 23 (March of the Toys) × 60 (Daisy Bell). That produces a 1,380-pattern song. That does not surpass 4,000. But, I have both the music tracks for Chex Quest (structured as a play through, that is, the songs are layed out as they would be heard while playing the game) and a recording of a choir concert from 2,006. That combination has a length of 359 (choir concert) × 701 (Chex Quest play through) (251,659 patterns). This is much higher than even the maximum allowable patterns using 1,024-row patterns (64,000 patterns). Hopefully that helps you understand my adamancy about an increased pattern limit, FreezeFlame.

LPChip

If that's all you're doing, why don't you use a sequencer like EnergyXT where it might be possible to accomplish this? (I say might, because you might still run into memory limitations which is something you might not be able to overcome.)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteHopefully that helps you understand my adamancy about an increased pattern limit, FreezeFlame.
It does explain all the times you asked about increasing the current limit of the MPTM format.
Can't imagine myself seeing more then a thousand of patterns with maximum row limits.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).