Plugin Bridge - Alpha Testing Required

Started by Saga Musix, March 17, 2014, 03:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

herodotas

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 08, 2019, 16:26:36
Please let me know if there is still any trouble with specific plugins.
Nice, I start :) Full bucket plugins since FB series (FB-3100 for example ) first parameters on start playing pattern or song.

life is darker than it seems

Saga Musix

Please only report issues with the plugin bridge in OpenMPT 1.29.00.28 or newer. from what I can see, builds.openmpt.org currently doesn't have that version yet. Any older version still contains the old plugin bridge, please do not report bugs for those (I know it has issues). You will have to wait a few more hours until you can test this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Also, to make it even more obvious: In this thread, report issues that only happen with the plugin bridge. This is not a general thread for buggy plugins.

I had a look at FB-3100 and there is no bridge-specific issues. However, I observed that the plugin sets its final output volume parameter (in the upper-right corner of the GUI) to 0 whenever an "All Sounds Off" CC message (CC 120) is sent to the plugin. OpenMPT sends this CC to all plugins (no matter if bridged or not), and this seems the the only plugin so far which has a questionable interpretation of that CC. It's just supposed to turn any playing sounds off, but not set the global volume of the plugin to 0. This is something that has to be fixed in the plugin.

In the future, please report plugin-specific bugs which have nothing to do with the plugin bridge on the issue tracker.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I contacted the author of FB-3100 - he confirmed that this is a bug in the plugin and will fix it soon.

herodotas

Strange, I wrote to him 1 or 2 months ago about this bug, he send me away: "   Note that this is no bug of my plugins..."...
And this bug persist in all newest plugins of him from FB3100.

Saga Musix

It's no surprise that he didn't understand your bug report because you probably didn't tell him that it's MIDI CC 120 that's misbehaving. ;) It's not an issue that is easily reproducable with other hosts, since most of them probably don't send this CC, which automatically makes plugin developers go "well this is a host-specific problem then" (and that is an entirely understandable reaction). Anyway, I have received a test version of the plugin and was able to confirm that it fixes the issue, so updated versions of the plugins should be available soon.

herodotas

Saga Musix

I got notified that updates are now being rolled out for the plugins (not all at the same time though).

Back to topic: Just after I finished that rewrite of the plugin bridge, I did some more experiments and now there's another rewrite under way, with the following improvements:
- Clicking into plugin GUIs will no longer defocus the actual plugin window
- The last few possible hangs should also hopefully get eliminated

herodotas

Thanks, again Saga, FB plugins now works fine except ModulAir, but, I hope update comming.

Saga Musix

The new plugin bridge is now ready for testing (r12060 / OpenMPT 1.29.00.30, now available at https://builds.openmpt.org/). As mentioned above, this should fix any remaining stability issues and also offer visual improvements. Please test it, and let me know in this thread if there are any issues specific to the plugin bridge in that version (if the issue also exists if the plugin is not bridged, file a regular bug report instead).

With this update, bridged plugins should finally feel like first-class citizens in OpenMPT and behave exactly the same as native plugins, apart from the slightly increased processing overhead (and thus latency) - although while working on this improvement I realized how small the overhead really has become on a modern system, so even with low-latency ASIO and a couple of bridged plugins I was able to play my tracks smoothly without any dropouts.

Note: Since they are quite huge, these changes will sadly not make it into OpenMPT 1.28.

herodotas

Hello, big part of my plugins slowed down loading and opening GUI. Especially ones with resizing or complex GUI. Crashes happens too.

Saga Musix

Without the crash dump file or at the very least names of crashing plugins I cannot do anything to help you.

herodotas

Nevermind, it's my dumb head. I always unzip new version in directory with previous version, and, I think, old bridge files conflict with new ones. Just cleaned directory and unzip, now all works better. Only new versions of Lynx and Aegis vsti's, scaned or added manually, disappears from VST list, after
restarting OPENMPT.

Saga Musix

If newly added plugins do not show up in OpenMPT after a restart, it means that it didn't shut down cleanly and was unable to save its settings (if you didn't see a crash dialog, it may still be hanging in the background). I did try adding Xenobioz Aegis to OpenMPT and it did show up again after closing it.

herodotas

Yes I see crash dialog after few minutes I quit Openmpt, now after repeating add Aegis, I see Openmpt still hang in processes after quiting. Try this with another plugin - all OK.
Tested another synth made with SynthEdit x64 - Kx Polymod. Openmpt hang in processes after quiting too.