.42 Song restart volume pop (also with wav export)

Started by LPChip, April 26, 2006, 22:10:07

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I have a song which starts at 0 volume (set in the general tab, as well as with V00 command)

The song fades in to a normal volume (intro)

If I play the song, everything is fine. I then wait till the song is at normal volume. I press stop (no sound at all, cus no playback).

When I press play from start, a small "pop" is heared that sounds like a buffer or maybe the first notes that are being played. This is annoyed though, especially since it comes on the wav export aswell.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

I've noticed this bug too. I think he needs to memset() the buffer on stop, unless he wants to preserve the data for some reason.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

do you have any vsts in the track? it might be caused by those, they dont always get cut off properly when you press stop and play from the beginning.  i think it has to do with the 'trails', like reverb especially.
usually what i do is just add a short blank pattern at the beginning of the track, and cut that part off in a wav editor.

LPChip

I have tracks with VST's but also tracks without VST's that do this.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

I suspect this is because the volume is ramping from the current value to 0 when playback starts. You can verify this by setting the sample ramping (click avoidance) option to 0 samples in the player options. I'm not suggesting that as a permanent solution.

I guess we need to initialise the volume to a suitable value before playback starts - not just as it starts.

LPChip

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"Bumping old bugs...
it is really annoying... this really has to be fixed!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Will this bug ever be fixed? :)
And what about that random garbage that nearly destroys the speakers :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

rewbs

v1.17.02.48 will disable volume ramping on the first buffer read after the play is initialized. Therefore, if you have a Vxx on your first row, this will ensure that the global volume jumps straight to xx when playback starts, rather than ramping from the current value to xx.

Note that this will not fix plugin output residue on song restart. It only affects clicks caused by having a global vol change on the row where playback starts.