Does OpenMPT support 3D Surround?

Started by Kitsune_Phoenix, February 06, 2014, 12:34:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune_Phoenix

I keep seeing options for surround sound, and clicking on them does make my audio sound different, but I'm using normal stereo headphones. Is OpenMPT using 3D surround? And if that isn't the case then could you guys add it in the future? Thanks :3

--- QUICK EDIT ---
While I am at it, I have another question. Whenever I am about to export something as a WAV so that I can convert it to an MP3 afterwards in Audacity, I see a greyed out "Export to MP3" option. Is there some setting I need to enable or some plugin I need to install, or is it a feature that hasn't been finished yet?

--- ON AN UNRELATED NOTE ---
I am also curious as to whether you guys have considered Famitracker integration (and NSF importation), because there are some FamiTracker modules and NSFs I want to convert to stereo sound, or overlay on top of a UMX. Of course, Famitracker doesn't let me do either of those things, and I am not sure if you would be allowed to integrate Famitracker without the permission of its own creators, but I still think it is worth considering.

manx

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on February 06, 2014, 12:34:04
Whenever I am about to export something as a WAV so that I can convert it to an MP3 afterwards in Audacity, I see a greyed out "Export to MP3" option. Is there some setting I need to enable or some plugin I need to install, or is it a feature that hasn't been finished yet?

As OpenMPT itself does not contain any codec except FLAC, you have to put the codec DLLs in the OpenMPT directory. See the wiki/manual for more details about supported codecs: http://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Saving_and_exporting#Format.
Also, in the current stable version (1.22.07.00), the option should not be greyed out anymore in any case, so I recommend you update your copy of OpenMPT because file export and especially lossy codec handling has been improved in the latest versions.

manx

Quote from: Kitsune_Phoenix on February 06, 2014, 12:34:04
I keep seeing options for surround sound, and clicking on them does make my audio sound different, but I'm using normal stereo headphones. Is OpenMPT using 3D surround? And if that isn't the case then could you guys add it in the future? Thanks :3

First, The option you are talking about is probably the "Pro-Logic Surround" option in the "Player" panel in the settings window. See http://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Setup/Player for details. The option is just a post-processing effect, that adds some (pro-logic compatible) surround to the stereo output of the mixer. In particular, it does not add any rear channels at all. It is recommended to not use this option (same as with all other options on the upper half of this settings page).

Second, OpenMPT supports quad-channel (or 4.0) surround. To use it you would have to connect 4 speakers (or a full 5.1 setup) to your soundcard. Using headphones would require them to somehow handle 4 channels, which there probably is no sane (or at least easy) way to do.
To use quad channel surround, you have to set your soundcard from stereo to quad in the soundcard settings of OpenMPT and use the S91/S90 and S9B effects. See http://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Effect_Reference#Sound_Control.

Saga Musix

Regarding NSF, it's not possible to integrate since it's specifically tied to the NES sound chip. We are not going to emulate this sound chip in OpenMPT. I know there are converters to convert IT and S3M to NES music, maybe there's a similar tool that works the other way around, just search around a bit.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kitsune_Phoenix

Thanks for the info guys. Also, I've never heard of Opus before.
Maybe I can ask on the FamiTracker forums if they can add an Export-to-MPTM option.

Saga Musix

Opus is pretty new, it's a new audio codec mostly used with the Ogg container (previously, mostly Vorbis was used with that).

As for the export option, MPTM is just a superset of IT, but IT is much more well-documented and should probably do everything needed. If they are going for it, they can't do much more than just putting notes without samples into patterns, since the actual sound generation can of course not be replicated by a purely sample-based module.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kitsune_Phoenix

Interesting stuff.

Quick note: I am trying to mod Unreal Tournament (I'm taking multiplayer maps from Unreal Gold that didn't make it in and porting them), and I wanted to add combat music by clipping a part from one of Unreal's UMXs, but while I am able to import UMXs and convert them to ScreamTracker format, I cannot export UMXs which means the game refuses to play the module. Any advice?

Saga Musix

I think UnrealEd should help you with creating UMX files, or at least you should be able to embed the modules in the map files. I have never done this, it's only hearsay. UMX is practically the same container format as all the other Unreal formats such as maps, sounds, etc...