[something] qRags49 (mp3)

Started by Haikz, April 25, 2006, 16:27:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Haikz

Greetings. I've been using MPT for quite a few years now, this is my first post on this forum though. I usually attempt to use unusual rhythms and time signatures in my songs, this piece not being an exception. I can't quite say what genre it is.
http://haikz.org/qrags49.mp3
Congratulations to anyone who manages to count the first time signature O.o
The drums are samples, the rest of the instruments are VST-stuff.

Sam_Zen

It starts with a cycle of 13. And it ends with a 7.

Haikz

Not quite, but good try anyway :)
The first part (0-1:06) is basically counted to 49. I count it 7+4+3+7+4 (piano restart) +7+4+3+7+3. It's definitely hard to count (you have to count pretty fast). The last part is to 4+3+4+2=13, although it strangely does seem similar to 7.

Sam_Zen

The try was quite loose I must say, just some sections with my voice.
Besides this, the human brain has its limitations in recognizing a repeating sequence. The highest cycle-number for a tala in indian music is around 19.
As you say, a mental sub-division is made, according to some accents and melodic content. Like 3+3+3+2 in a cycle of 11.

apple-joe

Refreshing piece! Experimental and open minded, I definately liked it. I think I'll have to see if I find more tracks by you.

EDIT: The hard rocking part was in 4/4, was it not? It sounded quite regular.

Sam_Zen

2 Haikz
You see ? Don't be afraid to show your work, not only to us, but to the world. I just added "ninjaproge.ogg" and this one is done very nice too.