100% pure penguin powered

Started by Waxhead, December 17, 2013, 01:35:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxhead

Hi all,

It's been ages since I posted at ModPlug forums, but just for the heck of it I wanted to very publicly announce that I ditched my Windows (30th November 2013) in favor of Debian GNU/Linux. The only downside is that I have to run OpenMPT under wine (who is working quite well I might add).

I have been using Debian for servers for a long time and have some experience with it. However for desktop I am not that experienced but so far it has worked out surprisingly well. Since I have three monitors I had to so some magic in the terminal to get this to work, but mostly everything else have been pretty simple and without any hassle at all.

The really fun part is not the impressive speed of Linux but rather the feeling of being free. I know this may sound like a clichè, but I really honestly feel very happy about the entire thing. As the world is also moving more and more towards controlling the Internet I also think this is the only real way to go. Back "underground" like we used to do in the early 90's. If the world wants to control the Internet, music, videos and all the other commercial aspects of it then let them have it. In the 80 and 90's people where writing programs and making music, demos, graphics and so on for the pure joy of it and happily shared it with others. I am sure history repeat itself providing of course that people still act as individuals instead of just going with the flow.

I hope that I at least inspire other to consider moving to a more open and free platform. I am not a fanatic penguin evangelist yet, but I am working on it!

..ps! it would be nice if OpenMPT would loose the windows dependency and move to multiplatform! (don't forget about the bsd guys)

Saga Musix

Quote from: Waxhead on December 17, 2013, 01:35:25
don't forget about the bsd guys
Don't worry, we aren't. In fact, we're already using the BSD license! ;D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.