Help! My MIDI controller (Akai MPD18) won't insert notes in Pattern Editor...

Started by HereticBeats, November 23, 2013, 00:12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

HereticBeats

Yo.

My MIDI controller (Akai MPD18) won't insert new notes in Pattern Editor when I push its pads!? I can push the MIDI controller's pads which does play the correct note in my speakers, but it doesn't insert the pushed note into the pattern... I'm guessing (and hoping) that since the controller actually plays the pushed note correctly, it can't be too difficult to set up OpenMPT to let me insert/record the particular note onto a selected pattern.

Thanks in advance for helping. Any answers that solve the issue will be a huge help to me...

- HereticBeats
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

Saga Musix

Have you actually set up OpenMPT to receive MIDI? As long as MIDI is set up, MIDI record is enabled (this is by far the most common mistake people make, hence it's even in the FAQ, but noone reads FAQs, right?) and the pattern editor is focussed, it should happily accept any incoming MIDI notes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

HereticBeats

As far as I can see my MIDI is set up correctly, and MIDI Record is enabled.

That my MIDI controller actually can play the sounds of the notes when I push its pads should also be evidence that it's set up correctly, right?
Hardware: HP Pavilion g7 | M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE | Akai S1000 | Akai MPD18

Software: Windows 7 | OpenMPT | Audacity 2 | BeatCleaver | TX16Wx 2 Pro | Poise | E-MU Proteus VX 2 | Novation Bass Station 2 + V-Station 2 | Wusik EVE 3 | FireBird+ 2

Saga Musix

Quote from: HereticBeats on November 23, 2013, 02:53:34
That my MIDI controller actually can play the sounds of the notes when I push its pads should also be evidence that it's set up correctly, right?
If you mean that the controller plays its own built-in sounds, then no, that doesn't have to mean anything. For what it's worth, the connection to the PC might not be set up properly. Do you have any other audio application open that could probably make use of MIDI input? If so, OpenMPT might not be able to open the device (but in that case it should show the MIDI config dialog when trying to enable MIDI input).
One thing worth trying would be to run SendSX, set it up to receive MIDI from that device, hit some pads and then paste the recorded MIDI input here in the forum, to have a look at what kind of messages the device sends.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.