Wierd ''Wave Export'' error in 1.22.06

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), November 06, 2013, 21:30:44

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Im using Synth1 to produce an Synth Bass,and after making the Synth Bass tone,it whenever i try saving in Lossless (tried FLAC,WAV), this message comes by:

''Could not open file for writing.Is it open in another aplication?''

The only aplications open are two Word programs and OpenMPT.No other program can use Synth1.
Im geting this message after updating from version 1.22.05 to 1.22.06.

Any clue why this is happening?
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

LPChip

Here are 5 questions:
1. Do you have insufficient rights to write to the location you want to save your file?
2. Is the location a network location and did you lose your network access?
3. Are you trying to overwrite an existing file that might be locked?
4. Can you wave export to c:\temp (create the directory if it doesn't yet exist)
5. Have you tried restarting your windows?

For questions 1 to 3, if you answered any of them with yes, I can help you fix the issue.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

1:I can use every folder and program without trouble,my Computer runs in Administrator mode.
2:The first location was an folder that houses samples i made while i used Synth1 and OpenMPT 1.22.05,second was the Deskop.
3:No,i try to make variations of them(Synth Bass,Synth Bass2,Synth Bass3,...).
4:On my PC,temp is tmp.It saved the sample there.But why doesn't it can save them on the deskop or an folder?
5:Tried it now.Same error :( for anything that is not tmp.

Saga Musix

Do you use the normalize option, and does it work with/without it?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I used the Normalize option in both ''tmp'' and Deskop.

Geting the error for trying to save it on folders and the Deskop anytime,with Normalization and without.
In the tmp one,it saves with and without Normalization.

Tried it this time with several modules,not just samples.Same results.

LPChip

If you can save to your tmp folder but not to other locations, then you have a permission problem.

the tmp location is one of the few places that usually always has access (rights are setup for that).

Rightclick a folder where you'd like to save your files (preferably NOT your desktop) but a folder on your deskop even though not ideal would work.

Go to the permissions tab, and see if you have any rights to make changes. If you don't then you have your problem right there. You can fix that by becoming owner of that folder which will allow you to make changes to the permissions of your file. Make sure there are no deny permissions as they overrule other permissions. So if you for example, give your user full control, and the everyone user deny write, it will still deny your write rights.

To just test, add Everyone with read and write permissions and see if you can wav export to that folder. If so, still restore permissions to original state, but at least then you know the problem is a permissions one.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

I made an folder in the C hard drive,and it works.
The Deskop and the folders in it still cannot be used for sample saving with OpenMPT,but atleast its not absolutely impossible to save them elsewhere.

But still,its kinda crazy that something like that happened again,except OpenMPT didn't crash thankfully (first being the ''GM.DLS'' problem in 1.22.04,second is this).

LPChip

As I said earlier, you have a permissions problem. Something screwed up the permissions on existing folders.

A new folder always makes you owner, and as such you have full rights.

Saga Musix

If OpenMPT cannot save to your desktop, then no other program should be able to do so as well, because, well, OpenMPT isn't driven my magical unicorns, it uses exactly the same underlying OS routines to save files like every other program, and if one of them can't write to a specific folder, so can't the others.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Am using now version 1.22.05,exports without fail wave data in the deskop and anywhere else.
In version 1.22.06,its only possible in the C drive for me.

Im geting this error only in 1.22.06.

But may i ask if anyone encountered the same issue in version 1.22.06 ?

Saga Musix

Which location do you run the two versions from respectively?

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

1.22.05 :

Now from the Deskop.It was originaly from the C hard drive(the shortcut was on the Deskop) before i installed version 1.22.06.I'll be using the older one instead.

1.22.06 :

C hard drive.The moment you did the second post i moved 1.22.06 from the C drive to the deskop to see if it might work properly with wave export without the ''random aplication'' message,and it didn't worked sadly.

LPChip

Wait.

I think I get what's going on here. If the length of the path exceeds xxx chars, it will give the same non-descriptive error. C:\tmp is short, and a folder you created in c:\ probably is very short too.

Can you try exporting with a really short filename? like: a.wav ? just to test? Also, please post the full length of your path (and replace any sensitive information by an equal amount of x's.

For example:
C:\Documents and settings\xxxxxx\Application Data\Local\My Awesome Music Collection\Samples\Libraries\fourth section\subsection three\sample creation\my awesome instrument that I made myself.wav (too long)

manx

What is the full path to your Desktop folder? Does it contain any special/non-ASCII characters?
The desktop folder is usually placed in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Desktop (on WinXP) or C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop (on Win7) (but that might be different on your installation).

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Its:

C:\Users\Žan\Desktop

The ''Ž'' might be the problem if i followed everything so far.
But how can i change that?

QuoteCan you try exporting with a really short filename? like: a.wav ? just to test? Also, please post the full length of your path (and replace any sensitive information by an equal amount of x's.
Tried it,still refuses to save the Wave file to the Desktop.